New to tortoises. Step by step guide?

SleepyShell

Hey guys, I was wondering if you guys could give me a step by step guide on tortoises?

Also, I was wondering what kind of tortoises one could keep indoors? I live in NJ where only 2-3 months a year the weather permits keeping tortoises outside.

I actually love the idea of those giant tortoises but I realize that it's a dumb idea. I am not strong enough to move them about.

I was wondering if there is a tortoise that doesn't get over 30-40 pounds 50 pounds would be utmost limit.

I was wondering if there's a calm species that doesn't mind being observed or ocassionally petted.

I saw this video on youtube from some zoo that mentions tortoises apparently like to be petted, scratched and likes all form of gentle tactile.

Not sure if its accurate, if I can't pet it. It's fine, Id atleast like it to be out and about often and not hiding.

I've heard these things called tortoise tables, but I wonder how big of an enclosure they need.

I have a dog, a little chi mix so something not kept on the ground would be ideal.

Any ideas?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I suggest you read care sheets for different species. Not every species can be cared for the same way, in other words, no 'one size fits all' care. Care sheets are shown pinned at the top of each species section.

SleepyShell

I suggest you read care sheets for different species. Not every species can be cared for the same way, in other words, no 'one size fits all' care. Care sheets are shown pinned at the top of each species section.
But is there a recommendation for beginner tortoises? Like the RES of the tortoise world? (RES are really hardy aquatic turtles)

where can I find the guides?

SleepyShell

Russians are a good, hardy, adaptable, personable species. Here is some care info on them. Care for a greek, marginated or hermanni would be essentially the same.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
and these are the hardiest, and best to keep indoors? I live in NJ, we got cold climate 3/4 of the year.. With only 2-3 months with actually decent weather/temps. ...

I still dont wanna keep a tortoise outside as I had a box turtle in a kiddy pool to let it bathe outside and all and gain some sun but the turtle either escaped or got nabbed not even 2minutes from me turning away... never did manage to find it... it was a three toed box turtle we were keeping in a plastic tub with mulch pellets (the ones they sell for reptiles) , a big hide, a lighted area. The light had both UVB and heat production.

I always liked those big tortoises they have in the zoos. with the elephant feet. I guess a sulcata? or aldabra. But I understand it's beyond my reach to own. That and they're heavy as heck.

Thing is, I live out in what I like to call the "farmlands" -- we have some mini-suburbs here but most of it is farms and stuff. I live in the north east of the USA, this means that most of the time of the year it will be cool, or downright cold. The weather here is highly unstable as well. My room has no A/C and the house definitely has no A/C.

We may or may not fix that in the future, but for now I am opting to get a/c unit for my own room. I want to make it so that my room stays preferably 66-72 degrees.

My body can't handle the higher temperatures that well. So what species prefer lower temps? If none like cool temperatures, how can I make sure their enclosure stays at the appropriate temp?

Furthermore that no one ever discusses through exotic pet keeping forums(forums on fish, turtles/tortoises, amphibians, snakes, turtles, lizards, etc)

Is there a way to make it so if the weather outside is too cold or too hot it doesn't affect the indoor temp? and a way to make it so that the temperature inside the enclosure isn't affected if I lower or increase the temp in my room?

Like if I keep at 66 degrees in my room, and the enclosure is 82 degrees, or 72 degrees, but then one time I decided to increase the temp in my room because its cold outside or for whatever reason. Is there a way to make it so that whatever is heating the enclosure decreases the temp or increases depending on the temp.?

I don't know how that works, but it's so confusing.

I say I change my room temp cause I have some health conditions that make me feel abnormally hotter at some times, and other times I can feel much colder. I mean I could just cover up with blankets or something but it's not easily the case when I feel hot.

Does water quality play part in the care? Can you give tap water to the tortoise? I mean the tap water I think what we have is possibly well water. Not sure, but they mentioned that the water needed a new better filter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Russians are one of the hardiest and most tolerant of a wide variety of conditions.

To accomplish what you need with your room temperatures and what not, you will need a closed chamber. Its the best way to house a tortoise anyway. Instead of fighting to get a temperature in the open enclosure that is different than the room temp, you just heat and humidify the air inside your enclosure. It is also much cheaper to operate and much more efficient. Read this one:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
In this thread, I'm keep a tropical species, so I keep the enclosure warm and humid. For a russian you could keep it a bit drier and have a night time cool down. The point of a closed chamber is that it makes it easy to maintain whatever temps and conditions you want instead of fighting room temp with an open topped enclosure.

If the tap water is safe for you to drink it is safe for your tortoise. I raise tortoises on well water and city tap and both are fine.

SleepyShell

Russians are one of the hardiest and most tolerant of a wide variety of conditions.

To accomplish what you need with your room temperatures and what not, you will need a closed chamber. Its the best way to house a tortoise anyway. Instead of fighting to get a temperature in the open enclosure that is different than the room temp, you just heat and humidify the air inside your enclosure. It is also much cheaper to operate and much more efficient. Read this one:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
In this thread, I'm keep a tropical species, so I keep the enclosure warm and humid. For a russian you could keep it a bit drier and have a night time cool down. The point of a closed chamber is that it makes it easy to maintain whatever temps and conditions you want instead of fighting room temp with an open topped enclosure.

If the tap water is safe for you to drink it is safe for your tortoise. I raise tortoises on well water and city tap and both are fine.
I am waiting on the tap water to be fixed as we dont know if its bad for us or not-- so we're currently drinking bottled water. We need to fix the filter or bring a new one

A closed chamber? How hard is it to make one and how heavy is it?

Wouldn't wood be a dumb idea for a terrarium that requires additional heating? I mean it sounds incredibly flawed in safety... It can easily catch on fire, it's essentially a fire hazard because it'd have a heating lamp on top and a light lamp.... It would take out using heat pads out of the equation...

So how would you even safely heat up the enclosure with little to no chance of it catching on fire?

Thing is, humidity + warmth + wood = rotting and potentially a fire hazard, dry + warmth + wood = major fire hazard.

Is there a closed chamber that could be done with some kind of safe material?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am waiting on the tap water to be fixed as we dont know if its bad for us or not-- so we're currently drinking bottled water. We need to fix the filter or bring a new one

A closed chamber? How hard is it to make one and how heavy is it?

Wouldn't wood be a dumb idea for a terrarium that requires additional heating? I mean it sounds incredibly flawed in safety... It can easily catch on fire, it's essentially a fire hazard because it'd have a heating lamp on top and a light lamp.... It would take out using heat pads out of the equation...

So how would you even safely heat up the enclosure with little to no chance of it catching on fire?

Thing is, humidity + warmth + wood = rotting and potentially a fire hazard, dry + warmth + wood = major fire hazard.

Is there a closed chamber that could be done with some kind of safe material?

Somehow in over 30 years of using wooden reptile enclosures, I'm still okay. So no, I don't think it is dumb. My enclosures are heated by incandescent bulbs and ceramic heating elements 24/7/365 and none of them have ignited yet. Your whole house is made of wood, and you use electric light bulbs. If you have the skills and materials, you can make your closed chamber out of whatever safe materials you want. The bulbs go inside, not on top. Read the thread and you will see.

If the water is bad enough that you are drinking bottled water, then use the same bottled water for the tortoise.

Heating pads should not be used for tortoises. It is not safe in any type of enclosure.