New To Tortoises, Need Advice for Redfoots! (Habitats)

shrikes

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello everyone! I’m Narji from Michigan, Excited to be here!
So, I’ve been interested in getting a little tortoise for a while now, and I’ve been researching a ton on the topic (several things I learned from this forum before deciding to join), but even so, I’ve come across conflicting information on things like what kind of habitat I need to set up for my redfoot tortoise.
In the near future, I plan on getting a yearling redfoot from redfootranch, but I’m unsure of what kind of enclosure I should make for it. For instance, I’ve heard for a while that tortoise tables were the way to go, but now I’m hearing that you shouldn’t use one unless you have a room hot/humid enough for the tort?
I plan to put my tortoise in my basement, which tends to be quite cold, especially in the winter, but it has the most space in my house. I might be able to make room somewhere warmer, but that’s all I got right now. I’m guessing I won’t be able to use a table for the basement, so what kind of viv should I look into building? Any good tutorials? The tort would be about 5 inches long, but I want to make a permanent home for it to live full-sized in. What dimensions would that need? Materials? Aprox. cost? Anything I can recycle to make the process easier?
Thank you in advance for the replies! I’ve been really worried about making terrible mistakes and accidentally getting my future tortoise hurt or worse due to my ignorance. This will be my first tortoise and first reptile, and I want to get as much information as possible before getting my tort.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to TFO!

There are a few ways to get/make a closed chamber. This post will explain them for you.

shrikes

Michigan
Hello, and welcome to TFO!

There are a few ways to get/make a closed chamber. This post will explain them for you.

Thanks for the reply! Do you have more info on grow tents? Specifically, could one permanently provide adequate housing for a 10 inch tort? And is the front usually open, or is that just to show the inside? I know it’s a big no-no to try and cheap out on tortoises, but housing, especially bigger housing, seems pretty expensive to me. I hope I won’t have to get a smaller tortoise because I’ve frankly falling in love with the redfoot!

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
You'd have to keep the tent closed as much as possible, especially in the winter. There is no practical way to keep the temprature and humidity high enough without sealing it.

shrikes

Michigan
Would there be a way to make the door clear or something so that I’d be able to see the tort? Or should it just be sealed all the way regularly for best results?
Thanks

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
This is 5.5'x3' tort table, good sized and very heavy. Frankly I cannot imagine a 10 inch tort living in one. A 5" tort yeah
100_6373.JPG
or when his grown...
100_6311.JPG
or for you; something in between. We get snow, not like Michigan, but you could make something smaller then this which also gives him the option of going out or staying in.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Thanks for the reply! Do you have more info on grow tents? Specifically, could one permanently provide adequate housing for a 10 inch tort? And is the front usually open, or is that just to show the inside? I know it’s a big no-no to try and cheap out on tortoises, but housing, especially bigger housing, seems pretty expensive to me. I hope I won’t have to get a smaller tortoise because I’ve frankly falling in love with the redfoot!
Hi there! Welcome! So adult redfoots are generally kept outside in enclosures or pens, thats an idea of how much space you will need. If one could dedicate most of the room to the tortoise, it is possible to keep inside. But can you create a habitat suitable for a temperature sensitive species in a
cold basement ? Grow tents are awesome! There is a post on here with some good size clear tents....Check out Karens post above.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
This is what I've got setup in my basement for my redfoot. Maybe you can get some ideas from it. The night box is heated and connected to a thermostat and the area under the lamp stays about 85F.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
This is what I've got setup in my basement for my redfoot. Maybe you can get some ideas from it. The night box is heated and connected to a thermostat and the area under the lamp stays about 85F.

I love this!!!! So cool!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

I don't know why the link is going to the second page of the thread but that's the thread anyways.

shrikes

Michigan

That looks really good! Yeah, I can definitely take inspiration from that, thank you! How long until the 5 incher gets to about 10 inches? I should be able to keep it in a small enclosure for a while before I have to build the big one, right?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That looks really good! Yeah, I can definitely take inspiration from that, thank you! How long until the 5 incher gets to about 10 inches? I should be able to keep it in a small enclosure for a while before I have to build the big one, right?
Took mine maybe around 2 years to go from 5-10 inches. You could probably start with the grow tent till you need to upgrade.

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
Would there be a way to make the door clear or something so that I’d be able to see the tort? Or should it just be sealed all the way regularly for best results?
Thanks
Rig up a sliding glass window for an access door maybe. Modifying a soft plastic grow tent might be difficult, a rigid window is more suited to a hard walled enclosure.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

Show off...lol

shrikes

Michigan
So, I secured about a 7’x4’ 1/2 area in my basement, is this a good starting place? How much bigger should it be for when the tort grows up? I’m going to measure the temp and humidity to double check how cold and humid/dry it gets in here to determine what kind of setup I need. If it’s generally humid enough, could I keep it in a large, partially covered bin (with substrate etc. too of course) for a while? Or should I just go with the grow tent?

Attachments

• 4CD406B6-A5D3-4C0F-84ED-E5E929490E57.jpeg
    4CD406B6-A5D3-4C0F-84ED-E5E929490E57.jpeg
    966.4 KB · Views: 14

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
In my personal opinion keeping a 10 inch tortoise and a 7‘ x 4‘ enclosure should be fine as long as it is a singular tortoise as you could have a larger space for your tortoise which in fact would be in the best interest of the tortoise I believe that a 7‘ x 4‘ enclosure should be fine for a 10 inch tortoise I would still recommend bringing it outside and warmer days if that is a possibility they really do best being outside

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

How about this one? If it's a bit too big, just search "grow tents" on Amazon. They come in many sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WMW41D7/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20