New to Tortoises and Looking for a Reputable Breeder

harrythetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I've thought about this mostly to flag the merchant, maybe credit cards will not pay them if they have enough disputes filed. My credit card company said it is hard after 60 days, but I'll probably do it anyway.

I told Tortoise Town I would do this and they said, get this: We win 90% of these disputes. So disturbing that they're having so many disputes filed and are still in business.
That's what they told you? That doesn't seem like a very good customer service...

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
Hello! I am new to the tortoise forum and have been researching what pet would best fit with our family. Both my children would love a tortoise and, after much research, I believe a tortoise would be a perfect fit for our family. We do have some space restrictions, so we are looking for the smaller breeds to make sure the animal will be healthy and happy in its enclosure. We would house the tortoise indoors, as we live in NJ. I have seen many positive reviews online about Tortstork and was wondering if anyone has any information regarding this breeder? I am trying to decide between a Russian tortoise, Tuscan Western Hermann's, and Dalmation. I'd love your input regarding any other breeders for these species of tortoise so I can make the best decision for our family and be assured we receive a healthy pet! I am definitely looking to work with someone who is responsive and cares about the well-being of the animals. Thank you so much for any information you can offer!
Russian Tortoises are smaller and the males are smaller than the females. I got my russian from Douglas Dix in Washington. Also in Washington is the Northwest Tortoise Rescue. Both people are wonderful, know torts and are very kind! It's a wonder my endless questions didn't drive them nuts, but they want both the tortoises and new torty parents to have smooth sailing. I did about 9 months of research before I decided on Derrick, but the 7 years I had with him were very good for him and us. The vet would always give him a good report. It was all down to research and Doug. I used this forum for a lot of my research.

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
Russian Tortoises are smaller and the males are smaller than the females. I got my russian from Douglas Dix in Washington. Also in Washington is the Northwest Tortoise Rescue. Both people are wonderful, know torts and are very kind! It's a wonder my endless questions didn't drive them nuts, but they want both the tortoises and new torty parents to have smooth sailing. I did about 9 months of research before I decided on Derrick, but the 7 years I had with him were very good for him and us. The vet would always give him a good report. It was all down to research and Doug. I used this forum for a lot of my research.
Oh, I forgot the most important thing. Good luck on your search, and please post an update and pictures when you have your new addition to the family.

ArmadilloPup

Location (City and/or State)
NE Oklahoma
That's what they told you? That doesn't seem like a very good customer service...

That is the pet industry for you. People will continue to buy animals no matter what. Think about each pet store in your town and realize that they get weekly shipments of live animals. As long as breeders/warehouses follow minimal guidelines under livestock laws, they will get paid, so they don't care about ethics.