New to tortoise ownership and need some opinions :)

Emily H

Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
I purchased a cherry head tortoise from my local pet store and noticed that she has some pyramiding she also has very gritty feces (I assume she was eating the bedding) she is also about 4.5 inches long so I'm guessing she is approximately 2years old I'm new to tortoises and would just like some information on how I can improve her health :)image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Emily, and welcome to the Forum!!

It looks like you're trying to do right by this little tortoise. I'll offer a couple of suggestions - moisten the pelleted food. It makes it easier to eat and more palatable for the tortoise. And, like G-stars already told you, get rid of the alfalfa pellet substrate and go with something like coco coir, cypress mulch or small grade orchid bark. These can be moistened, and your new tortoise needs to be in a humid environment. As you know, he comes from South America, not the desert, so a jungle-like environment would be good for him. If you'd like to read a good care sheet, we have one at the Tortoise Library

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Substrate changr for sure. Lots of greens in the diet, so that is great.She is def. pyramided but a humid enviroment will arrest that.
Salutations.

Emily H

Delaware
Thanks everyone! Yeah I noticed after I put the pellet food in there that your supposed to moisten it >.< and I'll be sure to change the substrate :) she has become more active in the few days I've had her I'm still worried about her feces tho I'm hoping that since I'm feeding her the proper diet it will turn normal within the next day or so

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome.

Yvonne G gave you some very useful suggestion. you and your torts will do will by follow her suggestion.

Emily H

Delaware
Since making the appropriate changes, I can honestly say my lil girl has had an overall improvement! she's active and alert and no longer looks dry and flakey like when I first brought her home,and she no longer has sand in her guts! when I got her she was in a very dry tank with either sand or walnut shell substrate she looked fairly sickly and I immediately noticed her peaked scutes, I knew I had to take it upon myself to save her ,I had a basic idea of how to care for a tortoise but didn't know much about her specific breed now that I have the proper resources and knowledge I hope to expect a loooooong healthy life for her and her shell to begin to develop normally :D