New to tortoise keeping

Wezpowell

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
Hey guys,

I'm going to get a tort next month but I've never had a tort before. I have some experience with reptiles as my brother keeps lizards but I know it's very important to get it right for torts and I wanna make sure I give him the best possible chance to be happy. I'm going to run through my plan and any input would be much appreciated.

I'm going to get a Russian as I live in the UK and I believe Russians have the most similar climate out of the small torts.

I'm going to construct a wooden table around 4ft by 3ft which I think will be more than enough for a hatchling. I'm going to put a removable section on the side so I can extend it as he grows.

I'm thinking of building a 1ft by 1ft box section that can serve as a hide/sleeping area and use a ceramic heater in there set at around 18° as it sometimes gets v cold in the UK at night, even indoors.

I'm thinking of using a murcury vapor bulb as I don't want to use 2 bulbs and I think it will look more tidy. I will mount it so it can be adjusted to keep the basking temp around 27°.

I've been told the best substrate is a 50 50 mix of top soil and sand covered with reptile bark and deeper areas so he/she can burrow. Is this accurate? And how deep does the substrate need to be?

I'm going to put a small water hole for drinking and bathing and a feeding slate. I'm going to use some stones and higher areas so it can climb and a few cactus. I'm fully aware they will be eaten but I don't mind.

Any suggestions for improvements or any advice would be much appreciated

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
Welcome to the forums! I highly suggest reading this post to give the best care for you upcoming Russian: The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise | Tortoise Forum

It's been said a lot on these forums that the Mercury Vapor Bulbs (MVBs) should be avoided as they can dry a tort out extremely quickly as well as not producing enough UVB. Most here will recommend getting the tub bulbs. @ZEROPILOT has done several posts regarding proper lighting and which ones to avoid: UVB BULBS TO AVOID: | Tortoise Forum

Wezpowell

Manchester
Thanks for the info, I will definitely give it all a good read. Its nice that the majority agree here. I find there is so much misinformation about tortoises and you really need to dig deep to find what's best

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The MVB bulbs that I've tested (and foolishly purchased) provided wildly different levels of UVB. Some astronomically high. Some very low. And the heat output also varied.
On top of that, these bulbs are very expensive and don't last very long.
Since buying these, plus a fixture to place it in is at least or even more expensive than buying a correct T5 linear UVB....
Just buy the right one the first time.
I'm attempting to save new keepers some cash and future vet bills.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi, great idea to get all the information and everything set up before he arrives.

This is the most up to date caresheet which will help you with all that.

Large vivs are usually recommended for hatchlings to hold heat and humidity which will help you avoid starting him in dry conditions which will cause pyramiding of the shell as he grows.

Sand is not a good substrate because it can irritate skin eyes and nose and if ingested can cause the gut to become impacted which is very painful and can be fatal. Russians like to dig so need a substrate that can hold moisture ,without being wet, and be deep enough for that. The caresheet will recommend the best options.

The che will need to be on a thermostat so that it doesn't get too hot - I'm not sure if it will be OK inside a small hide. Most people use them outside.

MVBs have been found to dry and damage shells - consider a T5 HO uvb tube instead.
Don't buy the curly or cfl type as these have been found to damage tort eyes and terracotta plant saucers are safer than the water food dishes pet shops sell.

Anyway read the caresheet and come back and ask as many questions as you like - there'll always be someone around to give you the benefit of their experience.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys,

I'm going to get a tort next month but I've never had a tort before. I have some experience with reptiles as my brother keeps lizards but I know it's very important to get it right for torts and I wanna make sure I give him the best possible chance to be happy. I'm going to run through my plan and any input would be much appreciated.

I'm going to get a Russian as I live in the UK and I believe Russians have the most similar climate out of the small torts.

I'm going to construct a wooden table around 4ft by 3ft which I think will be more than enough for a hatchling. I'm going to put a removable section on the side so I can extend it as he grows.

I'm thinking of building a 1ft by 1ft box section that can serve as a hide/sleeping area and use a ceramic heater in there set at around 18° as it sometimes gets v cold in the UK at night, even indoors.

I'm thinking of using a murcury vapor bulb as I don't want to use 2 bulbs and I think it will look more tidy. I will mount it so it can be adjusted to keep the basking temp around 27°.

I've been told the best substrate is a 50 50 mix of top soil and sand covered with reptile bark and deeper areas so he/she can burrow. Is this accurate? And how deep does the substrate need to be?

I'm going to put a small water hole for drinking and bathing and a feeding slate. I'm going to use some stones and higher areas so it can climb and a few cactus. I'm fully aware they will be eaten but I don't mind.

Any suggestions for improvements or any advice would be much appreciated
Everyone who commented here is giving you great info. All you have to do is follow it.

I would add: Get the enclosure and all the supplies set up and running well before you get the tortoise. Run it all, check temps and conditions, make any needed adjustments, and let it run for at least a few days or a week to see any problems that might pop up. Then, you can simply delivery your baby tortoise into a perfect pre-set enclosure to live and thrive.

Wezpowell

Manchester
Just wanted to say thanks for all the above advice. It's great to have a reliable source of information I know I can trust. Based on what you've said I'll start off with a large viv 50x20 inch and forget the MVB and use the UVB tube and floodlight instead. I'll place a little wooden hide with some plants around and pace the Ceramic heater by it. I just wanted to double check that 50 by 20 inches would be appropriate for a hatchling and also ask how long it will be before they outgrow it?

Thanks again