new to tortoise forum!

TLG

Location (City and/or State)
Corona, CA.
I am so glad to have found this forum, I have many questions! I have a Russian tortoise and I live in So. Cal. Is it okay for my tortoise to be hibernating out doors when the temps here are still in the high 80"s low 90's in day and 56 to 60 at night? Also I cant find her and its been almost a week now? Thanks for any help with this. I am very worried about her. She was in her shelter and kind of sleeping but then one day she was awake trying to get out so I let her out and haven't seen her since..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Keep looking when the sun is shining on her part of the yard. If she didn't dig down to hibernate she will come out to bask. Keep looking daily. Also, feel around under any bushes when the sun is out. If it's possible for her to get out, ask neighbors, put up lost signs, let local vets and animal rescues know you have a tort missing. Good luck

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Welcome.
Don't stop looking!
Lost tortoises sometimes magically reappear months after they go missing.
Favourite foods left out, a bright light in the evening and crawling about everywhere on your hands and knees may also help.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Hope you find the tort very soon, and don't give up.

And please keep us updated and good luck!

Reactions: TLG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am so glad to have found this forum, I have many questions! I have a Russian tortoise and I live in So. Cal. Is it okay for my tortoise to be hibernating out doors when the temps here are still in the high 80"s low 90's in day and 56 to 60 at night? Also I cant find her and its been almost a week now? Thanks for any help with this. I am very worried about her. She was in her shelter and kind of sleeping but then one day she was awake trying to get out so I let her out and haven't seen her since..

No its not okay. Some of them survive when left outside to fend for themselves, but some don't. You need to find her. She's probably buried herself near a wall or plant. Look for disturbed dirt. It will be subtle. Get down on hands and knees and feel around in the dirt until you find a soft spot.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome from another Southern California member!

My Russian went into hibernation very early this year. Fortunately we know the signs and were able to place her into her fridge for hibernation before she dug too far down.

Tom is right that she is probably dug next to a wall or under a plant. If you have any kind of slope to your yard, she might have burrowed in there. Is there a place she digs into a bit during the summer? You can also check there.

A Russian female can pack the dirt down extremely tightly; you may not be able to locate the spot. I understand your worry; our tortoise hibernated in our yard her first year; we had only had her a couple of weeks and didn’t realize what was happening.

We were fortunate. There wasn’t a lot of rain that year and she came up right as rain in the spring. So while I agree with Tom that inside hibernation is best, it isn’t necessarily a death sentence. Keep looking but don’t panic.

TLG

Corona, CA.
I found him that year, but now hes been gone since middle of Aug. I know where hes buried but am concerned because of all the rain this year and its been cold. So should I bring him inside or let him stay out? Ive put a tarp up over the bushes where he is. it is almost Christmas and is suppose to rain starting tomorrow. Please help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I found him that year, but now hes been gone since middle of Aug. I know where hes buried but am concerned because of all the rain this year and its been cold. So should I bring him inside or let him stay out? Ive put a tarp up over the bushes where he is. it is almost Christmas and is suppose to rain starting tomorrow. Please help!
Same answer as before. You need to find the tortoise and bring it inside, either to remain up and active all winter, or to hibernate.

TLG

Corona, CA.
Thank You for all of the advice. I do know where he is and I hope he wakes up soon!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO! I hope all is well with your tort

TLG

Corona, CA.
Hi thanks to everyone! Shaboopee came out after 5 months asleep! He seems to be fine except some white stuff around his mouth. Im taking him to vet on Friday. I hope hes ok?

Attachments

• IMG_7069.PNG
    IMG_7069.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 5