New to tortoise forum

isabellaandvesta

Location (City and/or State)
Panama City Beach, FL
Hi, my name is Isabella and I recently adopted my little brother's tortoise, Vesta.
I have no idea what type of tortoise she is, can anyone tell me?

Also, my brother was feeding her only iceberg and romaine lettuce with the occasional fruit (strawberries) and veggies (carrots). I know lettuce has no nutrional value to carrots and I read online that carrots and strawberries aren't the best choices for tortoises either.
I have been feeding her a variety now, such as snap green beans, parsley, baby tomatos, and Timothy hay.
She seems to enjoy everything except the tomatoes! She will not touch them!
Sincerely,
Isabella and Vesta

IMG_3229.JPG IMG_3234.PNG

isabellaandvesta

Panama City Beach, FL
Hi, my name is Isabella and I recentely adopted my little brother's tortoise, Vesta.
I have no idea what breed of tortoise she is, can anyone tell me?

Attachments

• IMG_3229.JPG
    IMG_3229.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3234.PNG
    IMG_3234.PNG
    698 KB · Views: 23

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Where are you located? Can you post a couple more pics of the bottom shell and another like the one in the water dish but without being in the water dish.
Whatever species it is, that rabbit cage is not a proper enclosure and is also way too small.
@tortadise @Yvonne G @Anthony P @Markw84 might be able to ID

isabellaandvesta

Panama City Beach, FL
Hello and Welcome. Where are you located? Can you post a couple more pics of the bottom shell and another like the one in the water dish but without being in the water dish.
Whatever species it is, that rabbit cage is not a proper enclosure and is also way too small.
@tortadise @Yvonne G @Anthony P @Markw84 might be able to ID
I will take some more photos in the day light tomorrow, thank you for your help!
Also, the cage came with her when my brother gave her to me. I've seen a few enclousures on the forum that I'd like to get for Vesta. I don't know anything about the proper enclosure she needs however. I am located in Florida.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
An outdoor enclosure would be best if my guess is correct. I'm thinking you may have a gopher tortoise that is native to Florida.
See what the others say.
@ZEROPILOT is also in FL he might know too what it is

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Looks like gopher tort to me too. Do you know where your brother got it from?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Isabella!

I'm not sure, because the tortoise is very deformed from poor care, but it may be a Gopher tortoise. Can you tell us where your brother got the tortoise?

This tortoise really needs to be outside in the sun. It is suffering from MBD (metabolic bone disease), which makes the shell and bones very weak (and painful). It needs the sun and calcium-rich foods to help get those bones and shell strong again.

Your tortoise is a vegetarian and should not be fed fruit. Dark, leafy greens, weeds and grasses are what it needs to eat. Every so often sprinkle a tiny amount of calcium powder over the food.

isabellaandvesta

Panama City Beach, FL
Welcome to the Forum, Isabella!

I'm not sure, because the tortoise is very deformed from poor care, but it may be a Gopher tortoise. Can you tell us where your brother got the tortoise?

This tortoise really needs to be outside in the sun. It is suffering from MBD (metabolic bone disease), which makes the shell and bones very weak (and painful). It needs the sun and calcium-rich foods to help get those bones and shell strong again.

Your tortoise is a vegetarian and should not be fed fruit. Dark, leafy greens, weeds and grasses are what it needs to eat. Every so often sprinkle a tiny amount of calcium powder over the food.
My brother got her about two years ago from our mom's friend at work he says. I am so sad to hear this, but thank you for your information! Do you have any suggestions on a good calcium powder I can purchase? I will get her outside in the sunlight starting today. Thank you again.

isabellaandvesta

Panama City Beach, FL
An outdoor enclosure would be best if my guess is correct. I'm thinking you may have a gopher tortoise that is native to Florida.
See what the others say.
@ZEROPILOT is also in FL he might know too what it is
I live in an apartment so it's difficult for me to have a outdoor enlocourse for her to live in. I am able to get her outside in the sunlight daily however. thank you for your help!