New to this....and new to tortoises!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieMaroc

5 Year Member
Hiya, I hope you can all give me some advice

I live in Morocco and while I was recently on holiday back in the UK my neighbours moved out and the landlord completely blitzed their garden, stripping it of all grass and bushes....when I returned I was surprised to see two tortoises over there. I threw some food over the wall, but one tortoise didn't move, and was in fact dead, but the other one was alive, and the caretaker 'liberated' it, and so I am now the proud owner of a little tortoise. I will try and put up a picture.

Now, thing is, I know absolutely nothing at all about tortoises and theres so much conflicting information out there on the internet.

I don't even know what sort of tortoise she is, but shes stolen my heart already. Of course, she might well be a he for all I know.

She seems quite happy wandering around my garden (it is gravelled but with lots of plants and has a little wall) and has been happily munching the honeysuckle and hibiscus leaves, I've also given her lettuce and I read they like grass, dandelions and pansies, so I've planted some of those. I've put down water in a terracotta saucer and shes had a drink.

Can anyone identify her for me so I can read up? And advice? I really know nothing and want to do my best for her.

Attachments

• S4021133.JPG
    S4021133.JPG
    366.5 KB · Views: 35

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Welcome to the forum. You are in the right place, everyone on this forum owns a tortoise or 2 so you will get some great advice here...

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum:) It kinda looks like a Hermanns do you have a better pic of it? any one else what do you think

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Charlie:

Welcome to the forum!!

I'm not good at identifying the Mediterranean tortoise species, but someone here will help you eventually.

I'm so glad you were able to take the tortoise in and provide it a home. Good luck with it!

CharlieMaroc

5 Year Member
Thanks for all your welcomes! Heres another piccie...

Shes just exploring the overturned half sunk flowerpot I put in after reading a recommendation on here....

Attachments

• S4021140.JPG
    S4021140.JPG
    477.6 KB · Views: 18
Status
Not open for further replies.