New to the tortoise world

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMills0421

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I recently joined the tortoise family, picking up a baby sulcata for my 7 year old daughter, Grace. Grace has always been a huge fan of reptiles, in general, and tortoises and particular. This little guy (or gal) is joining a leatherback bearded dragon named Nike, a ball python named Rosie and 2 big mutts (Carly and Jenny). I'm the type of person that researches anything I buy to death and never stops wanting to learn about my critters. I've been lurking on here for a bit and am happy to join the group. I'm sure I'll have a million questions but will keep reading in the meantime :shy:

And now, a message from Grace:

I hope you all love your :tort:! I hope we become good buds!

Attachments

• tort.jpg
    tort.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Toms threads at the bottom of my post is a must read in my opinion for raising a healthy, smooth sulcata.

DMills0421

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:). Toms threads at the bottom of my post is a must read in my opinion for raising a healthy, smooth sulcata.

Thanks so much, Wellington. I can happily say I did not commit any of the "beginner mistakes," so I feel good about that. Tom does mention humidity several times but does not give an actual humidity level. What is considered ideal humidity? Given that I live in South Florida, ambient humidity indoors tends to be high - my snakes' enclosures tend to run around 65% naturally in the summer, 50% in the winter

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It should be in the sully thread or leopard one. However, they should be 80% humidity, with 80 degree temps all over, day and night, with a 95+ basking spot. This for about 1 1/2 years or around 7-8 inches at least. Soak every day for 20-30 minutes for at least a year to 1 1/2 years old, then you can cut back to every other day until about 8 inches then 1-2 times a week.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Grace (and mom too), and welcome to the Forum!

ShreksMom

5 Year Member
FL
Hi Grace, Mom and baby sully and welcome!! Grace I'm sure we do all love our tortoises :)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...your humidity levels on a baby sulcata should be 80% and above for the first year. Soaking can be done daily 15-20 min. Your temps for your baby should range 80 ambient, and basking should be 100-105..you may also want to look into a humid hide to help prevent pyramiding..good luck to you and your new addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.