New to the tortoise world

Status
Not open for further replies.

grundalowtortoises

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mi
Hello everyone! We are new to the tortoise world! We have not purchased our tortoises yet, because we still have so many unanswered questions.
We were planning on using a sand/coconut coir mixture for the substrate. What do you all recommend as the best substrate?
We are stuck between two different species. The Russian Tortoise and the Hermann Tortoise. For those of you who have a Russian or a Hermann tortoise which species would you recommend is better for beginners?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Welcome to the forum!

I personally prefer the coir without the sand. Some people like topsoil, cypress mulch, orchid bark - there are quite a few choices. The important thing is to choose something that you can keep warm yet damp, and is easy to walk on and dig into.

I personally prefer Russians (I have 4) but I don't have a Hermanns to compare with.

I do recommend getting an adult or a juvenile. Babies can cause beginners a lot of heartache.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Welcome to TFO!! I use coconut coir and cypress much for my torties! Read, read, read, I have learned alot here on TFO, lots of people with lots of knowledge and everyone is willing to help! Glad you are doing your research first! Kudos to you!!
:D Mary Anne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum :)

Either species makes a good beginners tortoise.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi grundalowtortoises:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

TashaR

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Hi! Nice to meet you, I'm a newbie too. I am getting my first tortoise tomorrow. I looked at Russians, Hermanns and Greeks before deciding on a Marginated. They just seem a little more social to me, but that could just be the tortoises I interacted with plus the opinion of one person.

Everyone here has been really helpful with helping me get everything ready, so I hope they are helpful in getting you set too :)

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
I would vote for the Russian. Just a bit more bang for your buck as far as entertainment value goes. I am sure there are lots of people that disagree:)

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Welcome. Read everthing you can here. I was new a year ago and kept getting conflicting info everywhere else. This is the best place for up to date tortoise information.

tortoiseluvr

5 Year Member
Welcome! Sorry I can't be much help with your questions but you have come to the right place for answers :)

TLL

5 Year Member
Southern Calif.
i would recommend a russian, my friend has one and she is very very sociable and cute :) i personally have 2 baby greeks which are my first tortoises. i never meant to get babies, it just happened that way :) i was actually looking for a juvenile one and i'm new here too, welcome !

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Welcome! You guys have made the right choice coming on this forum, I can't say it enough, without this forum I wouldn't have Rambo. This is the best site for info on torts. I would recommend a Russian because I have one haha :p He's really out going and I love him so much :)

If you are getting a Russian go on russiantortoise.org for some awesome info too. For substrate most people use coconut coir/cypress mulch. I'm about to put that into Rambo's cage when I get home :) You can get it from Petco, I was also going to use coconut coir/play sand but after going on this site I learned most people use coconut coir/cypress mulch plus it's easier to get it from one place rather than having to go to petco for the coconut coir and then home depot for play sand.

Oh, and I think Russians might be smaller?

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Definitely get an adult or juvenile tortoise and not a hatchling like Kristina said they can cause a lot of heart ache :(. There really isn't a beginner tortoise I guess but Hermanns have really pretty shells and russians are very personable. So which ever one intrigues you more you should get. After all it is going to be living with you for the rest of its life.

Status
Not open for further replies.