New to the Sulcata world

shaf1457

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello everyone my name is Jim and I live in Ohio. I have been reading these forums and other online resources for the past two weeks in preparation for our Sulcata's new home. I am no stranger to having exotics it has just been quite a few years since I have parented any.

Our recently adopted Sulcata came from a home that was ready to let her go. I am guessing the sex as female, which from reading I know can be very difficult depending on size. The people told us she was purchased in 05 which makes her around 8 years old. In my opinion she is really undersized for her age. I could be wrong but she is only 8 inches and weighs a little less than 5lbs. She also has some pyramiding but its not horrible like some of the pictures I have seen. I know she was not kept in the idea conditions and that is why I jumped to adopt her and try to give her a better home. Her appetite is good and has really enjoyed being outside with me and grazing in the yard also I have already treated her with some organically grown pumpkin which she attacked. From what I know the majority of her life has been spent in aquariums which I know from my research is a no no. We received her with the aquarium she has been housed in and it is only a 20 long and the substrate, if you want to call it that was green indoor/outdoor carpet and there was no way for the proper humidity either. The UVB bulb was roughly 2 years old (which was no use in even having) and they have been giving her ReptoCal.

We have only had her a couple days now and I am in the process of building her winter time indoor enclosure. The first stage of her enclosure will be 3 1/2 feet by 6 1/2 feet and 24" side walls with additions to come as money allows for it because with her small size right now I do feel comfortable with her being outside when I cannot be there with her. We are in the process of purchasing either a florescent tube or mercury style UVB light and for heat now sure as of yet. Her substrate will consist of the coconut fiber and play sand mix unless someone recommends not to mix the play sand in there. My plans are for a 60 to 40 or 70 to 30 ratio. Inside her new enclosure she will have a hide just need to get that part built and the top built of the cage build as well because we do have 3 cats. The enclosure will also have a digital thermometer/humidity meter to monitor her enclosure conditions. For the liner below the substrate I plan on using a pond liner unless someone has a better suggestion. Once outside gets to cold to put her out she will be on a primary diet of horse hay that I am getting from a friend that raises horses and goats. His horse hay is orchard grass and clover for the most part.

Im sorry for rambling on but trying to give everyone an idea of what I am doing and what are new addition to the family is all about. I will have pictures to come as soon as I get them off my phone.

Thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions you can give me. This poor little girl really just fell into our laps and I really want to give her the best home possible.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Yes, sounds to be very under sized. My leopard, which is smaller then a sulcata is 8 inches and he's only 2 1/2 years. No need for the sand in the enclosure. Maybe some dirt with the coir, as Sullies do like to burrow in. The mercury vapor bulb would be good for day time heat, UVB and light. A ceramic heat emitter works good for night time heat if needed, it heats with no light.

shaf1457

5 Year Member
Ohio
Ok I got some of the pictures off my phone so I thought I would go a head and include them now. The one pic of the cats and the Sulcata you see the aquarium. Well that has been her home as you see it. This was her first night here and everyone was curious about everyone. Thought we would just get all the introductions out of the way. Since then its like nobody cares anymore. lol

Attachments

• sulcata first nice.jpg
    sulcata first nice.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 59
  • outside 1.jpg
    outside 1.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 61
  • outside 2.jpg
    outside 2.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 60
  • enclosure 1.jpg
    enclosure 1.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 58
  • enclosure 2.jpg
    enclosure 2.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 56

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Poor thing living in that aquarium. Some people, ugh. Love the pic of the cats trying to figure out "why that rock is moving":D.

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
lovely of you to take her in. she's very pretty. btw your cats are gorgeous as well.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Congratulations on your new addition...well...where to start....first, i would not put sand at all in the enclosure. I would go for dirt. Dig up some dirt in your yard, chemical free. And put that in there. She wont be in there for long. My female sulcata is 3 years old, 9" and weighs 8lbs. With a good diet and plenty of exercise, hydration, and lots of sunlight and proper care i dont give her long in that enclosure. I would guess by maybe next year you might want to be thinking about an outdoor enclosure. I do know winters can get awfully brutal there, i grew up in northeastern ohio. Her pyramiding isnt too bad, but there isn't anything you can do about that now. Just make sure she gets calcium 2 times a week. Keep a dish of water in with her also. Try to keep one thats large enough for her to climb in to. Or you can provide her a soaking dish when she is out roaming. I still soak mine. Good luck with your new girl. If you have any questions you can pm me. Also there are some links below my signature with good advise.

shaf1457

5 Year Member
Ohio
Thanks for the advice on the sand I was teetering on that issue. What do you think about top soil that you can buy at Lowes. Like Hapi-Gro they state its organic and no fertilizer additives. Also another consideration I thought about was Peat Moss also organic and that would enhance the coir with moisture?

It was late last night and I hadn't included this concern yet. If you would please look at the two included pictures you will see a cyst looking thing on her lower jaw. My wife says it looks like a herpes soar of some sorts. It has not seemed to bother her at all. Like I said earlier she has energy, eats very well, and doesnt try to rub it on anything.

Attachments

• IMG_20131012_180740_751.jpg
    IMG_20131012_180740_751.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20131012_180746_996.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jim, and welcome to the Forum!

I just love the cat picture! Funny how interested they are in something new.

Your yard looks to have wonderful grazing for a tortoise. also, I don't think the tortoise is big enough yet to know the sex, but if you'll turn her over and let us see the bottom shell around the tail area, we can give it a good guess.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
shaf1457 said:
Thanks for the advice on the sand I was teetering on that issue. What do you think about top soil that you can buy at Lowes. Like Hapi-Gro they state its organic and no fertilizer additives. Also another consideration I thought about was Peat Moss also organic and that would enhance the coir with moisture?

It was late last night and I hadn't included this concern yet. If you would please look at the two included pictures you will see a cyst looking thing on her lower jaw. My wife says it looks like a herpes soar of some sorts. It has not seemed to bother her at all. Like I said earlier she has energy, eats very well, and doesnt try to rub it on anything.

I don't like to use "soil" type substrates for larger sulcatas. Too messy. Fine grade orchid bark works much better in my opinion. Its only $4-5 for a 2.0 cu.ft. bag. Just make sure you've got the right stuff. Go look at the tiny $14 bags of orchid bark at the pet store, so you know what you are looking for at the hardware store. Sometimes its called "pathway bark".

That looks like a simple abrasion. Was he housed on concrete or with cinder blocks? I'd just keep it clean and keep an eye on it.

shaf1457

5 Year Member
Ohio
Thanks for the reply and advice Tom. I have learned a lot of reading your posts and personally I think your posts should be put as a sticky post of some kind at the top of the forums especially for the newbies like myself.

I will look into the orchid bark mulch as you suggested. As for the spot on her jaw I hope you are correct and its just and abrasion. She has been house in an aquariums and as far as her being outside where she used to live I'm not sure. With her being outside with me so far I know she has a rock fetish and I have to watch everywhere she goes in the yard because she tries to eat one every time she finds one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The rock eating thing seems to be a result of mineral deficiencies or imbalances. Common with a tortoise that has had a history like yours, unfortunately. There is a product called "MinerAll" from a company called "Sticky Tongue Farms", that really helps curtail the rock eating behavior. Just sprinkle it on the food everyday for a week or two at first and then cut it back to two or three times a week.

shaf1457

5 Year Member
Ohio
Tom I did find online what Home Depot is calling Orchid Bark and after looking what it consists of its basically western fir bark. Is this what you are talking about? If I can not find this in bigger bags here locally is there any other type of bark much I can use and what to stay away from? I am going to be mixing this with the coconut fibers substrate.

Sorry to keep posting so many questions but things keep coming up as I look around and I build her enclosure. Should there be a plexiglass window or not? I have read where some say you should and others say you should not because they will just claw at it because they think that's that way out. Just don't want to stress her anymore that she already has been. Thanks to everyone that has responded to my questions!

erica anne

5 Year Member
I am so glad you rescued him from that tiny prison! He is a very lucky tort now [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
shaf1457 said:
Tom I did find online what Home Depot is calling Orchid Bark and after looking what it consists of its basically western fir bark. Is this what you are talking about? If I can not find this in bigger bags here locally is there any other type of bark much I can use and what to stay away from? I am going to be mixing this with the coconut fibers substrate.

Sorry to keep posting so many questions but things keep coming up as I look around and I build her enclosure. Should there be a plexiglass window or not? I have read where some say you should and others say you should not because they will just claw at it because they think that's that way out. Just don't want to stress her anymore that she already has been. Thanks to everyone that has responded to my questions!

That's the stuff. You don't need to mix it with anything. Make sure its fine grade and not large chunks.

If you want a window, use tempered glass instead of plexi. I don't think it matters to the tortoise one way or the other. It might be nice to see and be seen.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
The reasoning behind my suggestion of the dirt was for digging purposes. Sulcatas love to dig. The said tort is older and will likely be digging. Would be more apt to get wood particles in eyes with the chips then the dirt. Dirt is more natural.
As far as rocks go i have a rock eater. I tried the miner-all. With no success. I even tried to get Toms advise, with no success... i also got some advise from a breeded whom thought it was due to not enough fiber in the diet, so i tried that. That also failed. Im left with a sulcata that is a rock eater. Thats it.. im not saying yours is or will be, im just telling you my experiences. And what i have tried. I hope one of them work for you..