New to the site :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nharr2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I have a Leopard and a Sulcata Tortoise. I have had them for about two months. I posted in the food and diet section but if anyone knows if you can put reptocal powder in their water and could tell me yes or no I would appreciate it. My little leopard is soooo sick :(

Attachments

• 254949_2122599468948_1364684108_32510341_7666754_n.jpg
    254949_2122599468948_1364684108_32510341_7666754_n.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 261973_2142943977548_1364684108_32534730_3600877_n.jpg
    261973_2142943977548_1364684108_32534730_3600877_n.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 264359_2142945577588_1364684108_32534732_1592252_n.jpg
    264359_2142945577588_1364684108_32534732_1592252_n.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 21

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome
Do you know what is wrong with you leo?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
nharr2 said:
I have a Leopard and a Sulcata Tortoise. I have had them for about two months. I posted in the food and diet section but if anyone knows if you can put reptocal powder in their water and could tell me yes or no I would appreciate it. My little leopard is soooo sick :(

Welcome, but it seems it's under a dark cloud of problems What is wrong with your leopard (or have you already made a post in the Leopard section telling us?). What are they eating in the picture?

nharr2

5 Year Member
Illinois
He is not eating, his shell is softening more and more each day, he isnt active, he wont open his eyes, its very sad :( I have tried carrots and sweet potatoes they dont like those mostly I feed them Romain and squash mixed together but have never put the D3 reptocal powder on their food until yesterday along with a UVB light. The Sulcata perked right up and is roaming all over their home all the time and the Leo wont eat so he isnt getting any of the vitamins :(

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I do not know and one of the experts will chime in soon I am sure. What I do know is that you should keep the sick torts away from the others, Make so your temp are warm enough. I am thinking about 90 degrees and give sick torty a warm baby food bath. Mix warm ( not hot ) water with carrots or quash baby food and let the baby soak.

Please list symptoms so you can get better info.
Also please discribe how you are caring for your babies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If/do you soak, does it drink when you soak? several of our members use baby food soaks to get nutrients into the tortoise, a softening shell is serious though and you probably need to take it to a vet for help.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Not much advice I can give with this, just wanted to say welcome and that someone will be able to help you soon..

nharr2

5 Year Member
Illinois
I appreciate everyones fast responses! I have been so worried and havent been able to get any help and the closest vet for them is 4 hours away! I will separate them when I get home. I have a peid moss and sand mixture for their bedding but I was reading on here that most people dont recommend sand so I will be giving them new bedding of only pied moss when I get home also. For the baby food soak I just mix a little in warm water and sit him in it? Yesterday he drank water for the first time in 3 days! I have a 100wt basking light about 18" above their home. I also read they need "night" heat so I am going to purchase a night time bulb tomorrow when the pet shop opens. I also have tort pellets that I bought several different kinds but they wont ever eat them.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Does your tortie get any natural sunlight? Like outside? I have a MVB for my hatchlings plus they get tons of outside time, all day actually. I have CDT's.

nharr2

5 Year Member
Illinois
I took them outside yesterday but they stayed in the shade.... but that is the first time they have been out the 2 months I have had them. I was reading on this site about them needing natural light and that is why I took them outside yesterday for about 30 minutes

relaxkuma123

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum,
I've got very same experiences as yours, size of my baby leo was also about the same size of yours..
Your torts is very very sick..
Additionally if you noticed, some where of skin around his eyes would peel off, wouldn't it?
You should bring your torts to the vet urgently...
(Basically this is a common suggestion that would not make you sad after lost him,
even though I know that the vet could not help a lot for this case)

For my case, My little leo had shown this symptom a couple of week before I brought him to the vet.
The vet said it's necessary to be admitted to make a treatment closely...
Then, we lost him two day afterwards in the vet hand.
(Probably, I guessed the vet gave(forced) some medicine or vitamin that my tort conditions is unable to resist)

The vet could not give me exactly causes of these symptoms,
but after considered carefully I guess by myself that symptom results from
lack of DIRECT natural sunlight and proper diet.
(Previously, I keep him outside under the house shade
where is unable to get the DIRECT sunlight, and gave lettuce as diet)

My recommends are as follows,
-Firstly you should separate and bring your leo under DIRECT sunlight
every morning from 7-10AM.(After 10AM, it's too strong sunlight)
-Soak him in the lukewarm water every morning 15-20 minutes to let him drink and make his eye open.
-Force him to have vegetable, and GRASSES..(If he doesn't eat by himself, after stay under direct
sunlight for 30 minutes, then try forcing by opening his mouth and give food directly.

Please keep post his symptoms continually.

PS. This is video of my leo while he's still healthy.
http://youtu.be/A9aAMRsVJf0

Ekkapat
Thailand

nharr2

5 Year Member
Illinois
Thank you for your suggestions! I will start that tomorrow morning with the sunlight. Do you also recommend the baby food soak? I have heard that from a lot of users on this site. I am off work at 11 and will soak him for 15 minutes when I get home and was going to grab some baby food on my way home to try that also. What do you suggest to try to get his mouth open? I have tried for days to get him to eat. He just started drinking yesterday after I put the UVB light in their habitat.

relaxkuma123

5 Year Member
I have no experiences about baby food soak, but I think it would be no problem to try.

Gently open his mount by your fingers, if he shut his mouth tightly,
then try the order below

Put him under direct morning sunlight first, to make metabolic rate rise around 30 minutes.
Then, soak him 15-20 minutes, his eyes and mouth would be able to be opened easily after soak.
then open and feed him suddenly after that.

Ekkapat
Thailand

nharr2

5 Year Member
Illinois
I will try.. its a hatchling about 2 months old his little mouth is teeney tiny but hopefully that will work! Thanks so much!!!

relaxkuma123

5 Year Member
I wish it could help, my tort is around same age when i lost him.
I would not let it happen again to your tort.

It's necessary to force him to eat gradually to recover his digestion system
which is currently full of gas after not working for a long time.

Anyway, don't forget putting him under direct sunlight 3 hours a day in the morning,
and after that while staying in indoor habitat, have to turn on UVB light at least 8-10 hours a day.

nharr2

5 Year Member
Illinois
I soaked them for 20 min and gave the Leo an all squash dish he opened his eyes but kept biting in the air...I kept putting it in his mouth but he wouldn't take it...crossing my fingers he will eat tomorrow and perk up after his sun bathing

relaxkuma123

5 Year Member
He should perk up after sunbath because of metabolism rate rised.
Try changing another diet if he wouldn't like to take.
If he start to take, remember do not force him to take a lot at once
because digestion system still hasn't worked well.
Increase volume gradually everyday...
Remember that GRASS must be feed at least 50% of the whole volume.
(If he wouldn't like to take only grasses, then try chopping up and
mixing it together with vegetable he'd like to take.)

River14

5 Year Member
Oh gosh I would wrap them in a nice clean damp towel and take them to bed with me. This is too sad. Try Fresh firm ochra they loves it sick or not......just forget all the advice on diet just try it. poor little sausages.

talk to them and hold them dear.

Status
Not open for further replies.