New to the forum

Vikki&Joe

Hi everyone,
We are a young couple from the UK but we are currently living in Mallorca. We have a Horsfield called Lennon, we have had him just under a year. Unfortunately on Thursday night he was bitten by a dog who have smashed his way through Lennons outdoor house and into his shelter. He has a hole in his shell but we are off to the vets tomorrow for him to be glued up and have some antibiotic injections.
We joined this group as we wanted some advice before we got hold of the Vet but he has pointed us in the right direction so now we are just praying for a healthy and speedy recovery. He seems okay in himself and is eating well, weeing and pooing fine, is still running around the place and being a naughty torty so we are hoping that he will be just fine

I, Vikki, have always loved Tortoise since I was a little girl. I had one as a teenager but he was a very poorly tortoise due to a bad start in life so he died after 2 years of me having him. I have also had a baby horsfield but I couldn't bring her to Mallorca with us so she now lives with a friend of mine so I'm still able to see her and give advice on the best care for her. I have also had a Turtle but I only rescued her from a friend who was not looking after her very well so she was rehomed to somebody with experience not long after. I love learning about Tortoise and their care. My dream would be to have a Tortoise sanctuary out here in Mallorca one day.

Thank you for reading :)

M

Maggie Cummings

That's why you simply can't trust dogs around tortoises. Welcome to the forum, we really like pictures here...so take the hint :) Do you have any hydrogen peroxide? Clean it out with some of that. Dogs have a lot of germs in their mouths.
FYI...don't let the Vet give any vitamin injections as they have a tendency to make the skin slough at the injection site.
Welcome to the forum...

Vikki&Joe

Thank you...
Yes Maggie I was very paranoid about the dogs and thought we had a secure home for him but obviously not. The dogs are never in the garden in the day only at night as they guard the house so I should of brought him indoors over night...but thats hindsight for you! Feel like a very bad Tort mummy!
We have cleaned the wound really well as we found him just after the dog got to him and we used Iodine. The vet told me to get a germicide and insecticide gel so we have put that on him now. The wound looks clean and no signs of infection so far..and his mouth still looks a very healthy pink colour. And yes I have read that the vitamin injections are bad for them so he will not be doing that! Only antibiotics.
Here is a picture of Lennon before enjoying the sunshine!

Attachments

• DSC00541.JPG
    DSC00541.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 22

yillt

Hi. Could you post a picture of your tort. I have never heard of anything like this happening before and I am curious on the size and condition of the hole. Thanks.

Vikki&Joe

Yes of course. Dog bites and attacks are very common actually, even when you think they are safe! The vet has said that you can see his lung through the hole and there is a picture of him with his bandage on. Hope this doesn't break any rules or upsets anybody!

Attachments

• 075.JPG
    075.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 076.JPG
    076.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 23

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Vikki and welcome to the Forum! Poor tortoise. But they are very resilient. He should come out of it ok.

M

Maggie Cummings

He is very lucky, and cute too! Did your Vet tell you to only use iodine once? It kills the bacteria, AND the white blood cells too. White cells are needed for regrowth. Keep us posted, I'm with Yvonne, he'll be fine...

yillt

He is adorable and must be in a lot of pain.I really hope he gets better. GET WELL SOON LENNON.

Vikki&Joe

Hi maggie, no he didn't say anything about using it once :( have put it once a day and redressed his bandages. Thank you for letting me know will not put anymore on now! He is very hard..its not really bothered him at all straight after the attack he was marching around the house. He is a cutie and has a wonderful character. Thank you for your advice

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Vikki welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Cute little RT . God be with him .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

yillt

Is he eating ok. Because if he is he is deffinitely n the road to recovery.

Teacup

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear your little one has been in the wars. I hope he makes a speedy recovery!

Kele7710

5 Year Member
Hi my dog did the same to mine, I'm from UK too, my vet advised iodine diluted everyday, after the initial antibiotics treatment and going to vets twice weekly Stanley is better now, he will always have war wounds but he is alive :) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399387988.182781.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399388012.297274.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399388033.480833.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399388050.947986.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399388065.281103.jpg