New to the Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave D

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Just found this forum recently, thought I should introduce myself. Im fairly new to Leopard torts as well, I have had one for about 2 years now and recently just picked up another one.

tort1.jpg

The newest one with a little Calcium mustache.

tort2.jpg

The older one trying to push our computer desk. He never seems to want to stay still long enough to get a picture of his face for some reason.

Hopefully those pics show up properly.

Dave

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Very nice Dave! Welcome to the forum! What are their names?

Dave D

10 Year Member!
Well Im not to great with names, so the older one is called Tortoise, and the younger one is Little Tortoise.

I dont know what I will do If I ever get another one.

Dave

Dave D

10 Year Member!
To be honest when I first got a leopard I didnt realize that the colour would change as it has. I didnt know if I liked it or not at first, but now I cant stop looking at him...he just looks awesome. Most of the pics I had seen at the time of older Leopards were much, much darker. Im wondering about how the younger one will turn out as he seems much darker then when the older one was his age.

The older one (Im assuming that it is a he) is about 6". Just so Im getting this right when you measure, your measuring the length of the shell along the bottom?

What king of substrate does everyone use?
I have been using shredded aspen in a 6' by 3' enclosure, with little to no problems but I was reading in another forum on here that aspen might not be the best choice but with little explination.
Hoping someone could fill me in.

Thanks
Dave

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Dave, That's funny. Yes, you will be in a pickle if you get another. I use 50/50 soil and sand as well.

Dave D

10 Year Member!
Thanks guys,

Anja your leopard looks amazing! Mine is fairly light all around but still has a bit more black around the front of his shell. I managed to get him to stay still for a few seconds to get a few pics.

tort6.jpg

tort7.jpg

Dave

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
Hi Dave, Can you post pics of the big ones plastron?? Then we can tell you the sex......ahh I mean the experts can tell you LOL my IDing the sex is a little off LOL :p
Welcome to the forum...Your Leos are BEAUTIFUL!!!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Im gonna guess female. This is my boy on the right and Tracy's other boy on the left. Tracy's other boys is 7" SCL and mine is 8". That tail on yours looks a little short, and I notice the cloaca is before the edge of the shell. Of course the more experienced guys will probably come in and shred this all to pieces for me but thats cool. ;)

[IMG=640x480]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p239/hisdsrtrose/torts/34095868.jpg[/IMG]

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
Welcome Dave and beautiful torts!! I love those pics of your big torts face!! Too cute!!:D

Dave D

10 Year Member!
I thought it might be a male just based on comparing some pictures a while back. Other then that I have no clue and absolutely no experience with properly sexing them. I figure its 50/50.... pretty good odds, but with my luck I wouldnt be shocked if I was wrong.

Dave

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
I'm gonna go with female as well. Female is my new main stay. LOL I guess I got a 50/50 chance to be right too.....She is bigger (rounder) domed.....thats my justification:p
Dave if you read in these forums..somewhere there is a whole thread on my inability to sex the torts....its amusing.
So my uneducated guess is...female.
Soooo if she is female ,she'll be worth some $$$ to ya cuz she's BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Yours and Aj's would make some knock out babies:p

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Iluvemturts said:
I'm gonna go with female as well. Female is my new main stay. LOL I guess I got a 50/50 chance to be right too.....She is bigger (rounder) domed.....thats my justification:p
Dave if you read in these forums..somewhere there is a whole thread on my inability to sex the torts....its amusing.
So my uneducated guess is...female.
Soooo if she is female ,she'll be worth some $$$ to ya cuz she's BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Yours and Aj's would make some knock out babies:p

Yup yup I agree, mine and his would make a good combo ;) Nice light babies, if only it were that easy. lol

Dave D

10 Year Member!
I see what you mean by the more domed shape...huh, and I just spent the last two months or so convincing my wife that it was likely a male. Of course she kept insisting that it was a female.

Thankfully nothing is for sure, so I dont have to admit that she was right just yet.

Dave

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
ok I sent the pic to my favorite Leopard guru ;) we will see what he has to say. lol

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
hehe Where are you located Dave? Maybe we could setup a breeding program in the future between our two if yours is a girly! lol

Dave D

10 Year Member!
That would be awesome, I love how light they both are!

Im living just outside of Toronto, Canada. Im guessing most of the members here are from the states? Many or any other Canadians lurking around on this forum?

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.