New to the forum

David y

Location (City and/or State)
Oak Forest il
Hey there! My name is David and we are the proud new owner of a little marginated!! We named him/her Totoro unless you ask my 4yo daughter who named him ninja turtle?After doing some research the last few months and looking, we were finally able to purchase the little guy from a person at the reptile show in Tinley Park who informed us they were hatched in late June. We live in the Chicagoland area so outside time isn’t the best bet now but just wanted to post a pic of our enclosure and maybe get some tips or tricks on what can be changed to make it better for the tort. He’s been pretty active and eating a lot, we do daily soaks and as of now, when we’re not home( because of work) we only run the uvb bulb. He’s flipped over a few times so I’m very vigilant about him not doing it underneath the mvb. Never thought for something that could outlive us I’d be so paranoid but all the posts I’ve been reading have really been helping me realize I'm not the only one who worries so much about the little dude. Thank you all for being so helpful and free with all the info to keep him/her happy and healthy.

Attachments

• 1F5292E3-D8CF-438E-B3FF-767B1C061208.jpeg
    1F5292E3-D8CF-438E-B3FF-767B1C061208.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 29
  • 9AA085F7-5508-404F-B093-B4FC9D192D26.jpeg
    9AA085F7-5508-404F-B093-B4FC9D192D26.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome! Cute tortoise

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
This is another up to date cover caresheet which covers your species and should help your tort thrive.

Do you have plexiglass or mesh on the top of the enclosure?
I can't tell from the pics but if it is plastic or glass it will block the uvb.

David y

Oak Forest il
Hi and welcome,
This is another up to date cover caresheet which covers your species and should help your tort thrive.

Do you have plexiglass or mesh on the top of the enclosure?
I can't tell from the pics but if it is plastic or glass it will block the uvb.
Hey there. Thanks for the care sheet. It is a screen on top?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hey there. Thanks for the care sheet. It is a screen on top?
The caresheet is a great resource to making sure your tort stays safe and healthy.
Large vivs are often recommended for babies because it's easier to control the temps and humidity. Maybe consider something like a pop up greenhouse over the top of what you have.
He will probably need some heat even when you're not there to keep the temps within the range given in the caresheet because babies quickly get cold and then you have all sorts of health problems.
MVBs aren't recommended anymore because they've been found to dry and damage tort shells so many of us use the T5 HO uvb tubes with a separate flood basking bulb and CHEs run through a thermostat to keep temps even.
A digital thermometer/hygrometer is good to monitor temps at tort level.