New to Red-Foots ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VBgecko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hi there, I'm no stranger to the tort scene, but I am to the red-foots ...

Last week I was devastated when my baby boy Yoda (a greek) up and died on me ... He was fine and active the night before, but the following morning when I went to feed him, he had passed :( ... I've been racking my brain about the cause of death --was it bad food, should I have soaked him more than 3 times a week, did he pick up a strange parasite, did I not provide an adequate environment for him-- regardless, I was devastated :( ... So much, to the point that I didn't think I could get another tortoise (I felt I was the cold clammy hands of death for a being that should live past 50 years) ...

Well, today I was at the local pet store giant running errands, and I decided to make a pass by the tortoise enclosure ... I peeked in the hide and much to my surprise there was a pair of eyes staring back at me ... So interested, a little red-foot came out from its hide to size me up ... It was so adorable! It was yawning and everything ... We sat eye to eye for a full 10 minutes looking at each other ... I said "what the hell" and decided to take him home ... I think the employee was sad to see him go, she said he was an active and enjoyable little guy ...

So far, I've sexed him as a male, and he's waaaay more active than Yoda ... (I'll post pictures in a bit) ... Right now I need all the info I can get on Red-Foots ... I'm aware that they get bigger than Greeks and that they live in more tropical regions ... I have an outdoor enclosure and I would like to know about harmful plants and whatnot, as well as their diet (how is it different from greeks) ...

Any information is appreciated, Thank you :)

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
congrats on your new redfoot!
if your little guy is a hatchling, Terry K (redfootNERD) has posted a nice guide for raising redfoots - raising redfoot hatchlings
if you have a yearling or older, check out terry's website Redfoots.com for great care info.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
VBgecko, sorry for your loss. I have went threw the same kind of thing recently . It isnt fun. Glad you found a new pet.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
VBgecko, I too am sorry to hear off your loss of Yoda. Some hatchlings are just not ment to survive. However I would like to Congratulate on your new Redfoot. Terry K aka RedfootNerd is great when it comes to raising redfoots and his site Turtletary.com and Redfoot.com should give you all the info you will need to raise a healthy happy tort. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of other sites out there on Redfoot care but I have found, in my own personal experience, that Terry K. has found a great formula that has been tried and true, not only for him but to turn around a sickly RF for me. for raising great Redfoots.
Good luck and looking forward to pics soon and in the future.

VBgecko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Okay, here are some pictures Click Here

We'll see how good my sexing abilities really are (see pictures) ... When I look at Scooter, he has a slight indent on his bottom, and his tail is more pointed than stubbed ... You tell me, is Scooter a girl or a boy :p ...

Thanks for all the info, some of the stuff, I'm happy to report that I have some common sense (yay me!) ... Like for instance, red-foots are more tropical than Greeks ... Before we left the store with scooter, I bought a spray bottle to help make the transition from arid to humid ... Quick question though ...

Is my current bedding of 1 prt playground sand and 1 prt Bed-a-beast going to be okay for him so long as I keep it a little moist? Or would just the moss be more satisfactory?

Thanks for all the help!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
IMHO Sphargum moss (Mosser Lee from lowes) is the best substrate for a RF it holds the moisture and does not mold. and is long stranded and fairly cheap.
Nice pics Emily. Scooter though looks like it could be a she to me. though I am frequently wrong. Unlike Greeks RF females do have a pointed tail. And in doing your research you know RF are omnivors and therefor eat meat and get most of their D-3 from meat right?
again check out http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm he gives you all the info you need to get you started.
and for RF over a year read http://redfoots.com
I found in keeping a RF for only 3 months they are a world of difference between Greeks and RFs.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Hi VBgecko..

How about a name?

Welcome to the wonderful world of the gregarious redfoot tortoise!

First of all.. the sand and b-a-b retains and HOLDS moisture which can lead to fungus and shell-rot [ regardless of the species ] if kept too wet. I've never ever seen fungus or any 'bugs' in the Mosser Lee 'long-fibre' spag. moss.. see here.. http://www.mosserlee.com/products/lfsm.html

What is the SCL [ straight carapace length ] of Scooter? Measure like this.. shown at 3 1/4".

ASCL-1.jpg

And post a pic of his anal scute so we can better guesstimate his sex. Keep in mind it is a guess at best if less than 6-7 inches. This is one of my young pairs.. male on the left..

ANALSCUTEID.jpg

Close-up of male..

ANALSCUTESEXING3.jpg

You and Robyn are right.. total different world.. literally! South Western/Equator for RF's vs North Eastern/Mediterranean for Greeks!

We'd all love to see your set-up.

Keep us posted...

NERD

VBgecko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Okay, the more and more I compare I'm leaning towards Scooter being a girl :p ...

I've uploaded some pictures of Scooter's enclosure and measurements here ...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Redfoot NERD said:
Hi VBgecko..

How about a name?

(As an aside, Yvonne says, "I think its 'Emily', Nerd!!"

VBgecko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
I think Scooter and I bonded over TV and beer :p ... YES, she is actually sleeping on my arm!

Attachments

• n714920873_1808116_3396.jpg
    n714920873_1808116_3396.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 32

VBgecko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Week one of the "Terry Method" is now complete!

It's amazing to see a tortoise "hoover" cat food ... lol

Thanks again for all the help, hopefully Scooter is well on her way to becoming a long-living, happy, healthy tort ...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Emily, I'm sure under your watchful eye and loving care and the "Terry Method" she will be a healthy, happy, long-living tort.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Emily, welcome to the wonderful world of Redfeet. You'll enjoy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.