New to my tortoise

Zeldee

Location (City and/or State)
Wales
Hello all

I have just got a horsefield tortoise. She is 10 months old. I have a tortoise table with a Acadia D3 basking lamp. It is UVA UBA. I’m currently feeding her with dandelion leaves, plantain and clover. Tomorrow I will add something else that looks good (and tortoise friendly) out of my garden.

I have a few questions. I have done some research of what to feed. The tortoise table says never give broccoli or any kind of brassica to a tortoise. In some threads here I have seen that cabbage is often given. I would love some opinions on this.

also the guy that I got her from told me that a bath every day would be detrimental to her. On your threads it says a bath everyday is good.

I would love some feedback

Sue x

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It's not a bath, it's soaking for hydration, and yes, daily. A little cabbage would be alright, but only with a variety of foods, and not much

Zeldee

Wales
Can I feed her too much? I have made hills got her to climb on the perimeter of her enclosure so she gets exercise

Last edited:

Zeldee

Wales
Brilliant. It’s day two for feeding. Yesterday I fed with clover, dandelion and plantain. She wolfed it down. Today I fed with the same and added geranium leaves. We put a sprinkling of calcium and she did not eat any of it. We put a clover flower in later washed and no calcium and she again wolfed it down. Should I hold down on the calcium powder and get Her a cuttlefish bone instead?

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
A lot of tortoises don’t like the calcium powder mine don’t. Instead I just put the cuttlefish bone in and I dust it on their food by scraping some of it off with a knife.

Reactions: Ink