New( to me)Russian, probably malnourished

Greta16

Location (City and/or State)
Western Maine
I recently lost my 2.5 yr old Hermanns and I said I wasn't going to get another. Well I did. On Craigslist( I know..)
So, long story..here goes. I got her quite cheaply from a family who didn't speak a lot of English and the son prob just got bored with his non-cuddly pet. She and her male 'partner' who recently died were kept in a tiny aquarium with no lights whatsoever. I was told they bought her at Petsmart a year ago and they were told she was 2 at the time, so that would make her 3 (if the pet store was honest or even knew). Talking with the mom was very hard due to the language barrier. I actually just called her son to get more info. When I got her 2 days ago mom told me she wasn't eating well and was pregnant. As I was already there and didn't want to leave the tort in those conditions I took her, not to mention I thought to myself if she's only 3 she can't be sexually mature yet. The not eating makes sense as she had no heat. She still has yet to eat, I know she's prob stressed out being in a new environment. She's active and her eyes are nice and bright. Now I'm wondering if maybe she is pregnant and she's older than they were told. The weight I got was 268grams, her shell is 4in long and about 3 1/4 wide. She feels super heavy and I've seen her digging around some with her back legs. Also, after her bath just now she pooped, no urates. Super dry and it looks like there may be tiny worms in it (Are they visibe to the naked eye?) I was able to call the vet her male 'partner' went to and asked about what he was prescribed. It was critical care for malnourishment. So, does she look wild caught? Is she big enough to be pregnant? Should she start eating after a few days of heat and good old uvb?20190509_160732.jpeg20190509_161029.jpeg20190509_161050.jpeg20190510_155502.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh man! That's quite a large load of parasites!!! Get the formula from the vet ( so many cc's per pound of body weight), then you can administer Panacur to kill off those worms. You can buy a tube of Panacur paste for horses at the feed store then draw up the prescribed amount into a needleless syringe. You administer one dose today ( or whenever) then another in 10 days.

Russian tortoises sold at pet stores are usually about 8 to 10 years old. All those worms may be fooling her body about the eggs, but she IS old enough to have eggs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The reason I don't post the dosage formula on the forum is because the dewormer comes in different strengths snd the vet will give the correct formula for the dewormer they get.

Greta16

Western Maine
The reason I don't post the dosage formula on the forum is because the dewormer comes in different strengths snd the vet will give the correct formula for the dewormer they get.
Thanks so much!! That would cause the not eating? I put that poop sample in the fridge in a baggie. Will it stay good so they can test it. Also, can it wait til Monday for the vet?

Greta16

Western Maine
Thanks so much!! That would cause the not eating? I put that poop sample in the fridge in a baggie. Will it stay good so they can test it. Also, can it wait til Monday for the vet?
Also, do you think the poor girl is wild caught? [emoji29]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's no testing required. They look at the sample under the microscope to detect any parasite eggs. In this case, they will actually see the parasites. So, yes, it can wait.

Yes, that's a wild caught tortoise. Petsmart sells no other kind.

Last edited:

Greta16

Western Maine
There's not testing required. They look at the sample under the microscope to detect any parasite eggs. In this case, they will actually see the parasites. So, yes, it can wait.

Yes, that's a wild caught tortoise. Petsmart sells no other kind.
Thanks Yvonne. [emoji5]