New (to me) Hingeback... Homeana I think

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I think Nelson has recovered much of his lost ground... according to the Donoghue formula, 190g is about where he should be, and the rapid rehydration weight gain slowed/stopped around 183g.

I'll keep using the hydration juice, but he feels a good weight for a tortoise now... I'm cautiously hopeful.

Jamie

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I think Nelson has recovered much of his lost ground... according to the Donoghue formula, 190g is about where he should be, and the rapid rehydration weight gain slowed/stopped around 183g.

I'll keep using the hydration juice, but he feels a good weight for a tortoise now... I'm cautiously hopeful.

Jamie
Is he eating consistently?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Yes, not a ton, but he's been eating pumpkin, dandelion greens, hibiscus, mazuri, reptilinks, papaya, silkworm pupae, wakame, and a dehydrated mix of fruits and veggies.

Jamie
That's great, sounds like he's in his way to being a happy healthy tort.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
169g today
It's definitely not unusual for them to yo-yo a bit- just keep the daily soaks going, you might not need the hydration solution and more, just water. Over the weekend, the Tortoise Trust sent me their article on hydrating homeana- they kept them soaking for 12 hours a day! They kept the water warm by placing a heating pad under the soaking tub. This is definitely worth a read: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/kinixys.html

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
It's definitely not unusual for them to yo-yo a bit- just keep the daily soaks going, you might not need the hydration solution and more, just water. Over the weekend, the Tortoise Trust sent me their article on hydrating homeana- they kept them soaking for 12 hours a day! They kept the water warm by placing a heating pad under the soaking tub. This is definitely worth a read: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/kinixys.html

I saw it and I'm going to try it tomorrow.

J

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH

I mixed up a soaking solution of a very diluted version of the rehydration formula, and am soaking Nelson in it for four hours today (I'm not comfortable leaving him alone in the solution while I'm gone, so it'll have to be for shorter periods, a couple of times a week)... instead of hassling with a heating pad, I put the soaking container inside Nelson's enclosure for the duration of the soaking.

Jamie

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Keep it up sir. Nothing like setting the bar very high for yourself with the babies you surround yourself with!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Meal for my forest tortoises... from left to right: mixed greens and herbs, pumpkin, berries, papaya, reptilink, green beans, portabella mushroom.

Attachments

• IMG_20191024_085539.jpg
    IMG_20191024_085539.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Meal for my forest tortoises... from left to right: mixed greens and herbs, pumpkin, berries, papaya, reptilink, green beans, portabella mushroom.
You just won "chopped", and do I hear the breakfast bell??? NICE presentation!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Nelson dropped back down into the low 140s, but since then seems to have stabilized, and as of today's bath and weigh-in, he was 164g.

Although I wish his weight was even higher, he seems to be eating well, his poops seem well-formed and firm, and he seems more comfortable in his new enclosure and with me.

I'm hopeful.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
He'd still been yoyo-ing in weight (from 140s to 160s), but after a round of meds from the vet, he seems to be more stable and to have a better appetite... I now see him cruising by the food bowl numerous times each day, and he seems to eat most anything I put down: greens, fruit/veg, animal protein, tort-kibble.

Jamie