New to group, redfoot questions

Sunshimmer

Location (City and/or State)
PA
Hi all!

I've been lurking and researching about redfoots for awhile. I don't have any atm, but want to make sure I can provide proper care for them as adults in my environment before I purchase. I'm in central PA. I know a few of you keep redfoots up here in the north.

I currently keep tegus, uromastyx, and russian tortoises. I've kept reptiles for more than 20 years but am rather new to tortoises relatively speaking.

Before I purchase any redfoots, I would like to know what size enclosure would I need for 3 adults to keep inside most of the year? I know to give them as much room as I can, but I want to make sure I don't crowd them with an enclosure that is too small. They will be outside only a few months in summer so I want to make sure they have lots of room inside.

The other question I have is what outside low temps (night time) are the cutoff point that I will need to bring them inside if I don't have a heated outdoor house for them? I keep seeing conflicting temperatures. I don't think having a heated house outside at night is going to extend their time outside much since daytime temps seem to drop a lot at same time as night time Temps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to hear from anyone who keeps them in my same locale or environment.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello and welcome.
I wouldn't recommend keeping 3 adult Redfoot inside your home. The size of the enclosure would pretty much be an entire room in your house. A 12x12' room would be kind of minimal for 3. And then you also need a lot of humidity and a constant 82 degrees....It gets pretty difficult.
I wouldn't even try. But I'm lazy.
I keep 5 females outdoors here in Florida. Things are much easier here as far as keeping them outside year long.
My torts only need to come inside once or twice per year. In fact, they didn't need to come in at all last winter. The simple heaters in my night houses kept them warm during our chilliest 55 degree nights.
I can suggest outdoor enclosure designs and food and general care. But to be honest, I have VERY LITTLE experience with keeping them indoors...and even less experience with dealing with actually cold weather.
It can be done. But I personally have never had to do so.
Hopefully another member or two can better help here.

Sunshimmer

PA
Thank you @Ray--Opo and @ZEROPILOT for your replies.

I am so glad I asked here before purchasing. I knew I would need a whole room, but rooms come in various sizes! I wanted to make sure the room i was I planning on keeping them would be large enough, and it isn't. It's a 10x10, and I thought I would purchase an 8x8 grow tent to keep them in.

Obviously that isn't going to work. I was looking for a medium sized tortoise to keep here that I could let free roam our backyard in summer months without needing a cover over yard to keep the hawks away. Guess I'm going to have to figure way to keep the hawks out of the yard so I can let my russians roam more territory.

I thank you for your honesty, time, and advice.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you @Ray--Opo and @ZEROPILOT for your replies.

I am so glad I asked here before purchasing. I knew I would need a whole room, but rooms come in various sizes! I wanted to make sure the room i was I planning on keeping them would be large enough, and it isn't. It's a 10x10, and I thought I would purchase an 8x8 grow tent to keep them in.

Obviously that isn't going to work. I was looking for a medium sized tortoise to keep here that I could let free roam our backyard in summer months without needing a cover over yard to keep the hawks away. Guess I'm going to have to figure way to keep the hawks out of the yard so I can let my russians roam more territory.

I thank you for your honesty, time, and advice.
You had mentioned keeping 3.
Keeping one would be easier.
You mentioned keeping 3 initially.

Sunshimmer

PA
Yeah, I know how tortoises can be like chips, so figured 3 females would be just right. Lol Those redfoots are so darn adorable, I can't imagine anyone owning just one!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yeah, I know how tortoises can be like chips, so figured 3 females would be just right. Lol Those redfoots are so darn adorable, I can't imagine anyone owning just one!
I had just one for quite a while.
I should've probably stopped then.

Sunshimmer

PA
I can see me getting one, and then needing another room for another one, and next thing ya know I have no closet space anymore! Who needs room for clothes when a closet room can hold another tortoise? ?? Just kidding but I can totally see how people would end up this way!

Sunshimmer

PA
@ZEROPILOT I know most tortoises are solitary, but I was under the impression that redfoots were different and like to be more social and some seem to even enjoy the company of others. So I guess my next question would be, do they still thrive and be happy alone? Are they better alone or in groups?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
@ZEROPILOT I know most tortoises are solitary, but I was under the impression that redfoots were different and like to be more social and some seem to even enjoy the company of others. So I guess my next question would be, do they still thrive and be happy alone? Are they better alone or in groups?
100% always better alone.
Putting them in groups is just for us keepers.
They would never choose to live like that in the wild.
A lot of things that are convenient for us, is not very "natural" to them.
No tortoise has ever appreciated having another tortoise in his or her territory. Even though a lot of keepers have misunderstood certain behaviors that looked that way.
With enough room, multiple Redfoot can tolerate each other most times. But I feel that solitary tortoises are the happiest.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I can see me getting one, and then needing another room for another one, and next thing ya know I have no closet space anymore! Who needs room for clothes when a closet room can hold another tortoise? ?? Just kidding but I can totally see how people would end up this way!

My small "laundry room" has evolved into my redfoot room amazingly quickly. Almost all of the the square ft. have been filled with tortoise
table / hatchling enclosers.... sigh. But I couldn't say no to two hatchlings. So alot had to change fast! My older female is 4 years old. (All separate, of coarse!)