New to forums and musk turtles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeyondUno

5 Year Member
Hello everyone! I just recently found this forum and thought it would be great to join and learn more about turtles specifically musk's. Wasnt sure where to post this but I plan on getting a musk turtle soon, I have tried to gather as much research as possible and try to prepare for the turtle, so I will write a list of things I have atm for the turtle(only housing one) and get feedback from you experts:) I have a 55gallon tank, I will be using play sand as the substrate, and have a 160g eheim canister filter, a tank heater (70-80f right?), digital thermometer aswell as the strip type ones, I have a clamp lamp along with a mercury vapor bulb for the uvb+heat source and was planning on buying a turtle topper for the turtle to bask whenever he feels like it but have read that musks dont really bask,any opinions on this? also a normal t8 bulb on a timer to offer the 12h/12h day/night, I have 2 big fake plants(one on each side of the tank), a zoo med turtle log, and this http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752284
I will be using reptisafe to dechlorinate the water, and plan on buying zoo med brand food aswell as feeder fish once a while. how am i doing? Any feedback/tips/advice would definitely help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome BeyondUno!!

It sounds like you have done your homework. Here's an excerpt I clipped for you from the 'net:

"In captivity stinkpots tend to favor carnivorous food items like aquatic turtle pellets, snails, earth worms, grasshoppers, crickets, ghost shrimp, small crayfish & commercial aquatic turtle pellets are taken. Mine seldom shows interest in aquatic plants or Romaine lettuce but will eat Spirulina algae wafers & commercial tortoise pellets. A youngster may be slow to warm to commercial pellets. Wild snails are known to be intermediate vectors of a number of indirect life cycle parasites affecting a range of animals, & snails of the genus Goniobasis are known to transmit lung flukes to loggerhead musk turtles. Therefore we recommend you avoid feeding wild-caught snails to stinkpots. If you don’t provide UV-B lighting, make sure the diet includes Vitamin D3 sources such as a brand name commercial food (i.e.: ReptoMin or Mazuri aquatic turtle foods)."

Status
Not open for further replies.