New to forum.

CharletteK

Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi, new to the forum. My names Charlette from Edinburgh, Scotland UK and we have an 11 year old male Testudo graeca ibera named Donashello??
Nice to meet you all.
Q. Is there such a thing as an enclosure being too big? I have a big space and plenty of wood to make a big enclosure!
Thanks

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Charlotte and welcome,
This is the up to date caresheet you need and if you follow the advice in it your tort should thrive.
It covers care for hatchlings but also has very relevant information for older torts, so read that and ask as many questions as you like there's always someone around to help.
How long have you had your tort?
Torts are wandering creatures and need to roam so the bigger the enclosure the better.
Will he be living inside or out?
If you post some pics of the enclosure he's in now you'll get good feedback to make sure it's as safe as possible.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome.
This is a very rare question.
Bigger is always better except for hatchlings upto around 2 0r 3 years old should their space not be endless.
Build as big as you can.
Just be sure to share pics with us, please.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum! Build away!!! He'll enjoy a lot of space. Probably won't even realize he's 'enclosed'!

CharletteK

Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi, and thanks for the warm welcome! ☺️
I was given him a month ago, so I'm a newbie! He came with a table, which I know myself is too small, but within the next couple of weeks he shall be in a mansion if there's no limit. Substrate is incorrect too, I have top soil ready to go in, 50/50 with sand I was told? He will be inside just now as too cold here, but as soon as the warmer months come he shall be back outside during the day, and indoors to sleep at night. Hopefully I've attached pictures correctly ?

Attachments

• received_239045558142564.jpeg
    received_239045558142564.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 10
  • received_708090773394061.jpeg
    received_708090773394061.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 9
  • received_708090773394061.jpeg
    received_708090773394061.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0395.JPG
    DSC_0395.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 11

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Don't use sand - it can irritate eyes and skin and if ingested with food can cause the gut to become impacted which is very painful and can be fatal. Top soil can also cause problems if it's bought you don't know what's in it.
He probably came with a lot of old information which is still being passed on by past owners, pet shops and even some vets and breeders, but there is a lot more known about torts now and if you read the caresheet I linked, that will tell you all about safer substrates, diet, correct temps etc. It's written by one of the most experienced members who thankfully shares best practices with us.
He will really enjoy a bigger enclosure.
What sort of lamp are you using?

CharletteK

Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi Charlotte and welcome,
This is the up to date caresheet you need and if you follow the advice in it your tort should thrive.
It covers care for hatchlings but also has very relevant information for older torts, so read that and ask as many questions as you like there's always someone around to help.
How long have you had your tort?
Torts are wandering creatures and need to roam so the bigger the enclosure the better.
Will he be living inside or out?
If you post some pics of the enclosure he's in now you'll get good feedback to make sure it's as safe as possible.
Thanks for the caresheet Lyn, most appreciated ☺️

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
You've landed on a great spot my UK sister, most of my "cycle brothers from another mother" live over there. This forum has all the correct answers from some really talented folks.....but the question you ask should have been answered in your mind long ago..........size matters. I'm sorry, I simply couldn't help myself at 5am.....it was just begging to be said...and my impulse-control this early is weak at best so please don't take offense.

WTTC Charlette....and please post some pics of your little guy!

CharletteK

Edinburgh, Scotland
You've landed on a great spot my UK sister, most of my "cycle brothers from another mother" live over there. This forum has all the correct answers from some really talented folks.....but the question you ask should have been answered in your mind long ago..........size matters. I'm sorry, I simply couldn't help myself at 5am.....it was just begging to be said...and my impulse-control this early is weak at best so please don't take offense.

WTTC Charlette....and please post some pics of your little guy!
Wahahah no offence taken honest!! And thanks for the kind welcome

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks for your reply.
Thanks,
If the holder is ceramic that is the safer option, but is the bulb an MVB bulb that gives heat light and UVB? If so then even though they are convenient, they aren't recommended anymore because they have been found to dry and damage tort shells.
Many of us use a T5 HO UVB tube and fittings, with a separate flood basking bulb and, in colder climates like ours, a CHE run through a thermostat for night heat and extra heat when needed. The thermostat is important to make sure the enclosure doesn't get too hot or cold. I bought my CHE and thermostat from The Range.

CharletteK

Edinburgh, Scotland
Thanks,
If the holder is ceramic that is the safer option, but is the bulb an MVB bulb that gives heat light and UVB? If so then even though they are convenient, they aren't recommended anymore because they have been found to dry and damage tort shells.
Many of us use a T5 HO UVB tube and fittings, with a separate flood basking bulb and, in colder climates like ours, a CHE run through a thermostat for night heat and extra heat when needed. The thermostat is important to make sure the enclosure doesn't get too hot or cold. I bought my CHE and thermostat from The Range.
Hi again.
All I know is what it says on the bulb..UVA UVB 100w. I was advised from tortoise table it was ok, but to get a shade for it ??‍♀️ I'll have a look on the range just now though.