New to Forum, Turtle Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

usofunnyjep

5 Year Member
We have 4 box turtles. Not sure which are male/female - but one of them laid 3 eggs semi buried in the dirt. They have an outdoor habitat. I was advised to place a barrier w/good air circulation around the eggs so that the other turtles wouldn't hurt the eggs. We've done that. However today we found one of the eggs deflated. What does that mean? We don't think we turned any of them - definitely didn't pick them up -- just kind of scooted them into an area that we could put the barrier around. Any ideas? We've added a little bit of moisture to the dirt they are in, since it is bone dry (Texas).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi usofunnyjep:

All turtle/tortoise eggs are buried quite deep into the ground. The hole she digs is longer than her back leg can reach, as she tilts her body down to reach further in. The female also pee's on the dirt to pack it down better. Because the eggs are deep in the earth, they are humid and moist. Your egg collapsed because it was dry. My suggestion is to gather up the remaining eggs and place them in moist soil, perlite or vermiculite in a covered container and place the container someplace where it will be consistantly between 83F and 86F degrees. Don't turn the eggs, keep them positioned exactly the way they are now in the ground.

Welcome to the Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

usofunnyjep

5 Year Member
Thanks for the information. We are keeping the soil moist now. You can call me Janie. I'm sure I"ll have more questions as the weeks pass by.

emysemys said:
Hi usofunnyjep:

All turtle/tortoise eggs are buried quite deep into the ground. The hole she digs is longer than her back leg can reach, as she tilts her body down to reach further in. The female also pee's on the dirt to pack it down better. Because the eggs are deep in the earth, they are humid and moist. Your egg collapsed because it was dry. My suggestion is to gather up the remaining eggs and place them in moist soil, perlite or vermiculite in a covered container and place the container someplace where it will be consistantly between 83F and 86F degrees. Don't turn the eggs, keep them positioned exactly the way they are now in the ground.

Welcome to the Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME :D. Good luck with the remaining eggs. I hope they hatch out for you. Don't forget pics if that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.