New to forum - our enclosure (pic heavy)

Volksvegan

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Hello, all! I've been reading a lot here, but just started posting. This seems like a really great group of people!
I've had my 7yo male Russian, Ludwig, for about four years. I do have an outdoor enclosure for him, but we are in the depths of a Canadian winter right now, so he is in his indoor enclosure, a 160-gallon stock tank. It has 7" of substrate so he can dig and burrow and is fairly well-planted. I've incorporated a lot of visual barriers so he "thinks" it's bigger than it is, and have used a lot of "pathways", hills, dips, etc. Microclimates have been fairly easy to establish with lighting (basking spot, UV tubes, regular incandescent, etc.). On to some pics! (descriptive caption below each picture)
hide entrance.jpg
This is the entrance to his hide. I've made it a bit like an actual burrow. It's a Super Pet Natural Tree Trunk hideaway made for guinea pigs, but I cut the door wider and a bit larger for Ludwig and have a "log" pathway entrance. These log things are great for preventing erosion of the substrate in areas where needed.
hill path.jpg
I call this the "hill path"; it's a divider for a terrarium that I laid on its side. I've used Norfolk Island pines (not actually pines but some other species; they're those mini living "Christmas trees" you can get; I checked and they're non-toxic) to give a natural "bonsai" look. Ludwig sniffed them and isn't interested in eating them, thank goodness, and he's tried to bulldoze them, but they're up to the challenge. Also some "cat grass' (wheat grass) that I keep trimmed. He's not very interested in it.
View towards pool.jpg
This is a view towards his pool (it's shallow and very easy for him to navigate) showing one of the "gardens" of spider plants. Our dojo had a fundraiser of baby spider plants, propagated by someone I know so I was able to establish that they had no pesticides or other nasty stuff - I bought almost all of them, LOL! Bridge and tunnel here also as well as another "tree".
spider plants 1.jpg
I have two of these "planters" that I bought at a local pet store, but I can't remember the brand name and can't seem to find them on Google. They're large, irregular resin made to look like volcanic rock, but are open on the bottom so the plants are protected but can root in the substrate. They're really great!
basking spot.jpg
Basking area with petroglyph (not a real one, of course).
pathways.jpg
Other pathways here and there.
garden and pathway.jpg
Garden and pathway.
New 9a.jpg
Ludwig trundling around. Look carefully and you'll see him.
cacti.jpg
Christmas cacti repotted in substrate and waiting in the wings to be destroyed...er, I mean "enjoyed" by Ludwig once they're clear of pesticides, etc.. I got 10 of these for $6 at Walmart!
Guess that's it for now - sorry I'm long-winded!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a nice-looking enclosure!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Very nice setup. May I ask you to post a picture over the entire enclosure? It must be cool.

Thanks.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Wow! Ludwig is a lucky little Russian. This is great! You have done a lovely job, very cool. Glad you are on the forum, posting. This will inspire others! Yay! : )

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love it! I had lost my Christmas cactus over the summer and have looked all around here (including WalMArts) and have found none, same is true for the Norfolk Island pines, so I am jealous at the luck you had in finding some. Just looks like such an awesome enclosure.

Volksvegan

Ontario, Canada
Thanks so much, everyone, for your kind comments! I did try to take an overall "aerial" shot, but my light fixtures are in the way (I designed a rack that spans the width of the enclosure for the tube fixture, and then there are the hanging fixtures...). What I'll do later today is draw a labelled sketch of the layout and scan it so you can at least see the overall look.
Happy holidays!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Volksvegan said:
Thanks so much, everyone, for your kind comments! I did try to take an overall "aerial" shot, but my light fixtures are in the way (I designed a rack that spans the width of the enclosure for the tube fixture, and then there are the hanging fixtures...). What I'll do later today is draw a labelled sketch of the layout and scan it so you can at least see the overall look.
Happy holidays!

Happy Holiday to you too and looking forward to the new photo.

I did the same thing. Please check out what I did.IMG_1615.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Volksvegan

Ontario, Canada
That's a great way to suspend the lights (and the plants)!
My enclosure is close to the wall, so I have the basking spot suspended from a lighting chain on a bracket bolted directly into the wall; it's easily adjustable as to height. Two smaller incandescents are on free-standing stands; I can move these around the tank to tweak the microclimates if needed. The stock tank is fairly deep, so the rack I made for the tube fixture lies right across the width of it, from side to side and the fixture lies on the rack.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Volksvegan said:
Here's a sketch of the overall layout of the enclosure.

By looking at the sketch, now I can't wait even more to your picture.