New to forum, looking into getting a tort

Stevenw052

Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn
Good evening all!

I'm, 33 year old, looking into getting a greek(ibera) or russian tortoise. But I'm not sure if I can or should.

I live in an apartment in NYC I won't be able to fit a 6x4 or 8x4 table anywhere. I could probably build a 3x3 two level table though.

Eventually if I end up out of the city the tortoise would get a bigger enclosure but who knows if that'll ever happen.

I was looking to set this up at first:

Maybe someone has a guide to putting it together?

Like I'll keep researching enclosures and all the stuff I need here but wanted to get people's thoughts because I wouldn't want to get one and force it into a crappy life.

Thanks!

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
You should look in to Egyptian tortoises. While they are more expensive and a bit harder to find, they are the second smallest tortoise on the planet and require less space. They are generally kept indoors full time due to specific temperature requirements year round. A 3x3 area is about the minimum a single specimen would need and still be happy, so it might fit your needs.

Tortoise tables aren't often recommended here. Since they are open topped, tables make it tough to control to the specific temperatures and humidity levels needed for most species. A lot of the info that you read on the web isn't helpful for keeping healthy tortoises.

Check out the different sub forums and read about the different species and their care sheets. Keep in mind, if you get a baby of either a russian or Ibera greek, you could keep it in a 4x2' (or 3x3) enclosure for the first couple years. You could time this with moving out of the city to a larger place.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
I would recommend that you read the caresheets for the different species to help you decide which would best suit your climate, space and circumstances.

The Enclosures thread here also has some great ideas but the bigger the tort the more space he needs as torts are roaming creatures so need to be able wander as much as possible (but not around the house obviously).

It's great you're doing your research first so that you can have everything set up when you're ready to take the plunge.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good evening all!

I'm, 33 year old, looking into getting a greek(ibera) or russian tortoise. But I'm not sure if I can or should.

I live in an apartment in NYC I won't be able to fit a 6x4 or 8x4 table anywhere. I could probably build a 3x3 two level table though.

Eventually if I end up out of the city the tortoise would get a bigger enclosure but who knows if that'll ever happen.

I was looking to set this up at first:

Maybe someone has a guide to putting it together?

Like I'll keep researching enclosures and all the stuff I need here but wanted to get people's thoughts because I wouldn't want to get one and force it into a crappy life.

Thanks!
Get a reptile pet with smaller space requirements. Lots of snakes, many lizards, tarantulas... Blue tongue skinks make great pets. Leopard geckos, crested geckos, bearded dragons. All of these will do well in a 60 gallon tank, or smaller for the little species.

Tortoises need large enclosures with lots of rom to walk inside them. I wouldn't keep an adult of any species in 3 x 3 and I'm not of fan of multi level enclosures.

Stevenw052

Brooklyn
Thanks all that makes sense. I should have used the word enclosure not table.

I'll look into egyptians and other reptiles.

I did read the care sheet for greeks.

The goal is to move somewhere more spacious in 5 years. I'll keep looking into it and ask any more questions here.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
If we're doing suggestions: Uromastyx are similar to grassland torts and the common colors aren't too expensive. They are herbivorous, have the same friendly chunky face, and are pretty relaxed. The only drawback is that they have the same lifespan as most other pets (12+ years), but that can also be a good thing since one of our main concerns as tortoise owners is where our buddies are going to go after we die.

uro.jpg

Anyway... I'll be looking forward to pictures after you've sold your furniture and built a tortoise enclosure ;)

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
If we're doing suggestions: Uromastyx are similar to grassland torts and the common colors aren't too expensive. They are herbivorous, have the same friendly chunky face, and are pretty relaxed. The only drawback is that they have the same lifespan as most other pets (12+ years), but that can also be a good thing since one of our main concerns as tortoise owners is where our buddies are going to go after we die.

View attachment 315191

Anyway... I'll be looking forward to pictures after you've sold your furniture and built a tortoise enclosure ;)
That is handsome and ugly at the same time! Wow!

Stevenw052

Brooklyn

View attachment 315191

Lol this is good advice. I've been looking into various skinks, geckos, and pall pythons. Now I'll check these out.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
I have many customers in NYC that buy Radiated tortoises from me but they all have houses with yards. Being in an apartment is tough. I like the lizard idea! But when you get a house with a yard, give me a call ;-)

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
If you are moving out of NY to a different state, you should buy a Radiated from @Sterant before you leave. They are not easy to get if you're in a state that doesn't have a breeder already due to the laws associated with this species.

Stevenw052

Brooklyn
So a ball python is out. Can't really fit a 4'x2'x2'. I can fit a 4'x18"x2' or something more vertical.

So going to see about a Uromastyx, smaller skinks, or a geckos.

Thanks all I appreciate you help.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

View attachment 315191

That is the best looking ...... (whatever it is)
Lizard I have ever seen!!!!
GORGEOUS!!!!!!! ????

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

View attachment 315191

what is THIS ones name?
If he doesn’t have one ... I will have to insist on adopting him ?
He is too cute to NOT have any name!
In his lizard world I’m guessing his name is.......??....... Henry? ?
WHAT????!!!! HE LOOKS LIKE A HENRY!!
Don’t get on me about this one @Blackdog...!
Why? What would YOU call him?
“Bust-a”.???? ?