New to breeding a couple questions

mproko

I have an incubator set up with 2 Russian tortoise eggs. I currently have it set up with a lidless Tupperware in the incubator. I have vermiculite on the bottom of Tupperware and sphagnum moss wet then rung out so damp on the top of the eggs. My temp is 88.6 and my humidity ranges in the 70s.

Some questions I have:

1. I’ve been periodically wetting the sphagnum moss to keep it damp? Is assuming the goal to keep the sphagnum damp correct?

2. Do I need to rewet or do anything with vermiculite?

3. It is real humid here now. What do I do when the humidity spikes? Lately the humidity in my house has been getting up to 70 pushing incubator humidity up to 80. Assuming the goal is in the 70s I’ve been adding dry sphaghum moss to the incubator to help lower the humidity.

4. Any other useful info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have never incubated Russian eggs, so I'm sending a shout-out to a couple member who have:

@shellfreak @Carol S

(congratulations on the eggs. I've been trying for many years with no success)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't have first hand experience, but most people don't incubate russians on damp media. Most breeders leave the media dry and just maintain humidity inside the incubator.

Hopefully @Carol S can share some tips.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I use Hatchrite, which I believe is perlite with some kind of water retaining crystals, and comes already moistened. I would not use moist sphagnum moss, as I am afraid it will keep the eggs too wet. The humidity in my incubator ranges between 70-80%. When the egg starts to pip, I remove the egg and place it in a plastic container with a moistened paper towel on the bottom of the container. I also take a moistened paper towel and fold it up and make a round circle out of it and place the egg inside to keep the egg from rolling around as it hatches. I do not let the eggs hatch in the Hatchrite, as I do not want to take the chance of the hatchling eating it.

Last edited: