New three toed hatchling with large yolk sac...help!

TurtleTab

I have three box turtle eggs that were laid in the turtle garden on June 16th. I've checked on them from time to time not picking them up or anything but staring at them, making sure they were intact. I went on vacation last week and came home to devastation. I lost my 3 threetoed box turtles (they all escaped and I have no idea how). But I still had my 3 eggs. Well, I noticed yesterday (8-11) that one had split open, split in half. I didn't know what to do at first because these are my first clutch of hatchlings. It didn't seem to be moving and I didn't know if ants or other bugs were going to attack it. So I picked it up keeping the egg in same position as it was laid. I carried it inside and stared at it, still not knowing what to do. I began to panic because I can see the baby in there and it was still covered in the slimy membrane stuff. So I made a mistake and took him out of his egg shell. I know, I know. I panicked and made a rookie mistake. I should have left him in his egg shell and put him in a tupperware container, letting him come out when he was ready. I know this now. But the damage is done. I thought he was dead, but he's not. He moved his head and one arm twice and again late last night, he made a reflex move as I sprayed water on him so he wouldn't dehydrate. I have him in a small plastic pet cage (for hermit crabs) on wet paper towels. The cage is sitting on a reptile heating pad but not touching the bottom of cage directly. I am worried that he may be dying because he is not moving and doesn't care to move. His eyes sometimes are open, sometimes half open. His yolk sac was bigger than him when he first came out, bright yellow with small red veins. Today, the yolk sac is flatter, but still large, still bright yellow, still with red veins. It looks healthy, just large. I am hoping he is just absorbing the sac and too weak to move...and not dying. Are there any suggestions someone can provide on what I should do? I already know what I shouldn't have done. I am beating myself up over that. He was hatched at 56 days old. A Preemie, I know. The eggs are in the turtle garden, buried of course, in direct sunlight with good hiding spots, weather fluctuating between 75 and 95 degrees this summer. The eggs continue to be moist in the nest. Yes I have the nest blocked off from predators. Please help me keep this little one alive...for some reason, my adult turtles escaped or were stolen. I cannot lose another one. I had one for 21 years and I'm hoping he will return to me. This baby is his offspring. We named the baby Lux for Lucky.

Attachments

• photo[1].JPG
    photo[1].JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 52
  • photo[2].JPG
    photo[2].JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 52

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
I do not know what to tell you other than I think it would be a good ideal to place the baby on a damp paper towel. The cloth towel is probably drying out the yolk sac. Also the baby needs to be kept warm. Also perhaps a moist paper towel covering the baby would help, but the baby must be kept warm. Do you have a incubator that you could put the baby in? I hope the baby makes it. Please do updates on his progress.

Someone with more knowledge will come along on the forum to help you.

TurtleTab

Lux passed away yesterday. Now its time to focus on doing the right steps for the other hatchlings. I am all ears and welcome all the help I can get.