New Testudo tortoise

Roxanne B

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi. I purchased this tortoise on Saturday and its now Tuesday morning. He stays in his hide and is not eating yet. I have soaked him twice. Temporarily I have him in a 40-gallon tank with the bark substrate recommended at pet store, mixed with some coconut soil my son uses for his tarantulas. I have the two dome lamps on one side, water and food (mixed greens of spinach, kale and romaine. I’m concerned about him. What should I do?

Attachments

• D1DE9A46-75F9-4E3F-8391-A8B35161DD9B.jpeg
    D1DE9A46-75F9-4E3F-8391-A8B35161DD9B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
The tortoise looks Healthy, tortoises dont eat right away when theres a change in its environment. feed weeds and if you dont have any feed a variety of spring mix (try finding the ones with different leaves not just lettuce types) collard greens, mustard greens, etc.

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
He is a full grown russian, you’ll need a much bigger enclosure. At least 8ft by 4ft, read this care sheet it has all the correct care.

Roxanne B

California
Thank you for the reply. I will offer more variety. Its normal for them to hide like this for days at first? Wondering how long is too long.

Roxanne B

California
We live in a townhome. The largest habitat I will be able to provide is 4 or 5’ by 2’. I’m shopping for raised, open tables. However, he was in a much smaller enclosure at the pet store and they said he was active and thriving. She also said he still has some growing to do, but he looks full grown?

QUOTE="Golden Greek Tortoise 567, post: 1856240, member: 119773"]
He is a full grown russian, you’ll need a much bigger enclosure. At least 8ft by 4ft, read this care sheet it has all the correct care.
[/QUOTE]

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
We live in a townhome. The largest habitat I will be able to provide is 4 or 5’ by 2’. I’m shopping for raised, open tables. However, he was in a much smaller enclosure at the pet store and they said he was active and thriving. She also said he still has some growing to do, but he looks full grown?

QUOTE="Golden Greek Tortoise 567, post: 1856240, member: 119773"]
[/QUOTE]

@Golden Greek Tortoise 567 is correct. It's already an adult, likely wild caught. Most pet store owners will say just about anything to get rid of their stock. Most of these establishments are still giving outdated and unsafe tortoise care information to their customers to this very day.

A few example threads about pet store mistreatment:

Tortoises require large enclosures because they need enough space to get around, to roam; something tortoises are naturally prone to do. They need a large enough enclosure to not feel trapped and bottled in. General activity levels can often be reflected by the amount of space you can provide along with how stable a tortoise keeper is able to keep their temperature and humidity levels intact throughout the day.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Pet store personnel do not always tell buyers the truth if they are anxious to make sales. Also there seem to be many well-meaning young people working in pet stores who do not really know what care is correct for the animals they have. Many of them are simply repeating incorrect info which has been told to them by their superiors, managers, or the owners.

In my experience, there are very few pet store personnel who are actually familiar with the correct care and husbandry for various reptiles.