New tank suggestions for red foot

Tortalini

Location (City and/or State)
Columbus, Ohio
So I am going to need a way bigger tank for my 1 year 8 month old red foot. Any suggestions on what size of tank. Also would it be better to buy one or build one? I'm leaning towards buying one, but I can't really find a tank meant for a tortoise, plus they are really pricey. Suggestions?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
So I am going to need a way bigger tank for my 1 year 8 month old red foot. Any suggestions on what size of tank. Also would it be better to buy one or build one? I'm leaning towards buying one, but I can't really find a tank meant for a tortoise, plus they are really pricey. Suggestions?
Unless your having a really large custom acrylic tank constructed no tank is big enough for a year and 8 month old Redfoot imo. You'd be much better off, and it would be cheaper constructing a large wooden enclosure. I'm about to upgrade my Redfoot to one of these layed down flat.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BMRXV3Z/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
If you look on Craigslist or FB marketplace you can often find a huge aquarium (180 or bigger) or a reptile enclosure (vision or neodesha).

Alternately, you could try building one from sheets of expanded pvc (think plywood, but from pvc, so no rotting issues with the moisture a redfoot needs to thrive).

Good luck!

Jamie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Agreed that a Redfoot (or any) tortoise of that size needs more room.
An aquarium has unneeded height and most are very narrow even if they are long.
I would make one out of plywood if living outdoors is out of the question.
Outdoors is always the best option.
Make the new enclosure as large as you possibly can.
An almost 2 year old Redfoot needs an 8 foot square space. So, go big. Try to dedicate a place in your home for a new, much larger enclosure. And build it as large as you're able.
Chances are itll end up costing no more money than a huge fish tank.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Yep large indoor enclosure. How about your basement-Ohio homes almost always have them! In VA I have a fancy dungeon that stays 75 degrees with 70 humidity so with only a few tweaks the winter indoor enclosure is spot on.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yep large indoor enclosure. How about your basement-Ohio homes almost always have them! In VA I have a fancy dungeon that stays 75 degrees with 70 humidity so with only a few tweaks the winter indoor enclosure is spot on.
That sounds like a Redfoot sanctuary.
Just hang some long UV strip lights!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Here's a few ideas:

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Best bet is pvc, but the cheaper option is plywood.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The European rule of thumb for torts (that I agree with firmly) is 8 times the shell length by 4 times the shell length at a minimum. This is actual, useable space- not the raw measurements of the tank. The original formula is a little weirder for multiple torts, but the bottom line is 'lots of floor space and manuevering room'.