New Sulcata totoise owner here! Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

"Rocky"

Hello,

Let me start off by saying that I have been using this site for answers even before I joined, so thank you to everyone who's a part of this forum. Next, my name is Craig and my Sulcata Tortoise is "Rocky" he/she is only 18 months old and it's too young yet to establish sex but I'm hoping it's a boy. I'm from NorCal and new to tortoise husbandry so any info is great but we have already learned so much from this site! We have been through some times already....Rocky was bitten by our dog 11 months ago and as a new owner i thought I failed, but with the quick reaction by my wife and me we went to the vet and got him on antibiotics and cleaned the wound every day until it healed. He is perfect now and in my wife's defense, she didn't know Rocky was outside when she let our dog out to use the restroom. Thats my story and looking forward to talking to more owners with experience to ask questions if any problems arise. Last thing, I am big on reading so before i even bought a tortoise i knew what I was getting into and the proper diet....etc.

Thanks for listening,
Craig and Rocky

Attachments

• P6100146.JPG
    P6100146.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • P6100145.JPG
    P6100145.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 36

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
What a good looking sulcata you have there. What caused you to get into tortoises, if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks for sharing your dog story, too bad you had to learn the hard way! But, now you know that no matter how nice a dog is, they think that tiny one is a chew toy! Good luck with your forever home with your little one. Cant wait to see more pictures.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME :D. Some good sulcata reads are at the bottom of my post. If you haven't been able to read them yet, you will enjoy them.

R

"Rocky"

Blake m said:
What a good looking sulcata you have there. What caused you to get into tortoises, if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks for sharing your dog story, too bad you had to learn the hard way! But, now you know that no matter how nice a dog is, they think that tiny one is a chew toy! Good luck with your forever home with your little one. Cant wait to see more pictures.

Thanks Blake. I am an avid animal lover and would love to own them all, but if I had to sum it up in one word...Fascination! A Friend of mine has had one for 15 years and everytime I see him I have to stop and stare as if it was the first time I saw a tortoise.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Welcome, nice looking Sully! I was in the same boat as far as a friend having a Sully and I just couldnt help but spend almost every moment with George when I went to their house. So thats how/why I ended up getting Cooper, just had to have my own big boy! The best money I have ever spent! :) How much does Rocky weigh and how long is he?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
"Rocky" said:
Thanks Blake. I am an avid animal lover and would love to own them all, but if I had to sum it up in one word...Fascination! A Friend of mine has had one for 15 years and everytime I see him I have to stop and stare as if it was the first time I saw a tortoise.

I too am absolutely fascinated with them, as well as loving all animals. I've only seen a few full size sulcatas. I saw two green sea turtles this morning and I just swam above it watching it, truly amazing species. Welcome to tortoise forum.

R

"Rocky"

cemmons12 said:
Welcome, nice looking Sully! I was in the same boat as far as a friend having a Sully and I just couldnt help but spend almost every moment with George when I went to their house. So thats how/why I ended up getting Cooper, just had to have my own big boy! The best money I have ever spent! :) How much does Rocky weigh and how long is he?

Thanks Chris. Rocky is 4 1/2 in. I'm not sure on his weight though. An estimated guess would be at least 8 oz, but thats just a guess. I don't have an ounce scale, but I guess I need to invest in one.

Status
Not open for further replies.