New Sulcata tortoise help!

its_emery156

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hey everyone! I'm new to this site, and new to owning a tortoise. My fiance and I have had our little tortoise for about 3 weeks now. We haven't notices anything bad so far. He's been eating and weve been soaking him about every other day so he can get hydrated because he refuses to drink from his water bowl. recently, we started soaking him every day so that he can poop because he also refuses to do it in his home. This past week though, we noticed some white stuff in it and I saw on this forum that its urites but he's had it happen 3 times this week and now I'm not sure if there's something wrong.... any help or tips is appreciated. We have primarily been feeding him romaine lettuce and spinach and we sprinkle the calcium powder on his food as well about 3 times a week.

Thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• 20200503_200933.jpg
    20200503_200933.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20200504_120703.jpg
    20200504_120703.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 20200525_113649.jpg
    20200525_113649.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 14

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Change the diet. Feed a variety not only spinach and Lettuce, it has little to no nutritional content. I’ll link the Care sheet for sulcata tortoises.
What’s your humidity?
Show us a picture of the enclosure.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Your tortoise needs a WAYYY bigger enclosure. you’ll need the humidity 70-90%
To keep your Tortoise from Pyramiding which your tortoise is already is.

Read this then come back.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Give these a read-
The best way to raise a sulcata, leopard, or star- https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181503/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

-This tortoise requires 80-100% humidity, and cannot be housed in an open topped enclosure. You need to cover it to create a closed chamber, or use a different enclosure all together. The enclosure also appears to be too small.

-clamp lamps are a huge fire hazard, and should not be used. Your lighting and heating needs to be coming straight down.

-you need hides, preferably humid ones. Your enclosure is very open and barren.

-your water bowl needs to be replaced with a terra cotta saucer.

-do you have any form of UVB? Or are you taking it outside for a few hours every week?

Be sure to get your humidity up and continue soaking daily. Your tortoise is already pyramiding, and keeping the tortoise moist is the only way to stop it. Your diet also needs an overhaul, as mentioned above.

nicoleann2214

NY
Hey everyone! I'm new to this site, and new to owning a tortoise. My fiance and I have had our little tortoise for about 3 weeks now. We haven't notices anything bad so far. He's been eating and weve been soaking him about every other day so he can get hydrated because he refuses to drink from his water bowl. recently, we started soaking him every day so that he can poop because he also refuses to do it in his home. This past week though, we noticed some white stuff in it and I saw on this forum that its urites but he's had it happen 3 times this week and now I'm not sure if there's something wrong.... any help or tips is appreciated. We have primarily been feeding him romaine lettuce and spinach and we sprinkle the calcium powder on his food as well about 3 times a week.

Thank you all in advance.
You should look for a terra cotta bowl, they have them cheap at Walmart or any hardware store, use that as a water dish get one that’s a decent size and the tortoise may soak himself in it as well.