New Sulcata Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I have always researched sulcatas and wanted to rescue the big boys and girls that get too big for their owners. My interest started 3 or 4 years ago, although I've always loved turtles and tortoises. I housed box turtles and painted turtles as kid.

I live in Indiana and know that it is not the best location to own a sulcata, and I have refused to buy a baby because I don't want to promote what I consider a problem, the selling of babies in pet stores. Recently a local pet store had a sign that they had a giant tortoise. I couldn't help but stop and see. They had what they claimed to be a 6 year old female in a plastic kiddie pool. It had some squash and carrots in a dish. I sat and watched the tortoise for 30 minutes or so before leaving. This sight made me sad. I was afraid the tortoise was not being properly cared for, and hadn't been.

The next week, thoughts of the tortoise kept creeping into my mind. I got on the internet, this forum, many other sites, and researched sulcatas even more than I had before. I then decided that this was my time to save one. I drove to the pet store, explained my plan, and brought my tortoise home.

He, not she, is awesome. He showed me his "manly" parts after I let him graze in the yard. He loved being able to graze and roam around without being kept in a plastic kiddie pool. I have built a tortoise table for the upcoming fall and winter. I realize that I will need something larger next winter, if I'm to stay here in Indiana. I may make a move south, for my tortoise! :) The tort table is 8 foot by 4 foot with a heat lamp and UVB bulb in the corner away from his hiding spot, food and water dish.

After discovering he was a boy, I renamed him Carl. He's my "son." I'm very excited about this, and hope to save more. He's been eating a lot of dandelions, clover, and grasses in the yard. I've given him calcium about every other day to try to improve his shell. His shell is about 12 inches long right now. But, he's a growing boy, so I'm sure it's getting bigger each day. I'm very excited!

Attachments

• tort table.jpg
    tort table.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Carl eating.jpg
    Carl eating.jpg
    989.4 KB · Views: 60
  • carl sitting.jpg
    carl sitting.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 57
  • carl dandy.jpg
    carl dandy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome, MrJorgensen!!

Your enthusiasm is contagious!

I'd like to suggest that you get rid of the sand substrate and use something like coconut coir or hardwood bark. When the eat sand, even though its accidentally (being stuck on their food), they run the risk of becoming impacted.

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Indiana
emysemys said:
Welcome, MrJorgensen!!

Your enthusiasm is contagious!

I'd like to suggest that you get rid of the sand substrate and use something like coconut coir or hardwood bark. When the eat sand, even though its accidentally (being stuck on their food), they run the risk of becoming impacted.

My substrate has a couple inches of topsoil in the bottom, then the "sand" is ground walnut. Does this have the same impact as sand if swallowed? I did buy some coconut coir, but haven't added that. This is just really easy to clean and maintain. I appreciate the help and would love any advice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh boy...walnut shells are even worse than sand. Besides the impaction, they are also toxic.

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Indiana
emysemys said:
Oh boy...walnut shells are even worse than sand. Besides the impaction, they are also toxic.

Ahh. I guess I'll change that now. Thanks.

Liam Owen

5 Year Member
Bloomington Indiana
Hi, thats awesome, i just got my first sulcata at the noblesville indiana exotic pet expo, his name is baby cakes leonidas he was born about 2 weeks ago and his shells in bout silver dollar sized, great to know theres a fellow sulcata owner in Indiana where are you in Indiana!? And heres a pic of Cakes!!!!:)

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Indiana
Liam Owen said:
Hi, thats awesome, i just got my first sulcata at the noblesville indiana exotic pet expo, his name is baby cakes leonidas he was born about 2 weeks ago and his shells in bout silver dollar sized, great to know theres a fellow sulcata owner in Indiana where are you in Indiana!? And heres a pic of Cakes!!!!:)

Not too far. I'm up in Brazil. I come down to Bloomington quite often. I love Upland and Bloomington Brewing Co. :)

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
What a sweetie! In the 3rd picture it looks like he is looking at you saying THANK YOU FOR SAVING ME! It's so sad how he was being kept.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
This is awesome! I rescued my baby girl Mercy from being abandoned my her first home. She wasnt properly taken care of but now she is a happy sully =] She was underweight according to the vet and only weighed 3 pounds. After a week and a half with me she gained 6 ounces! With a proper passionate owner, these little (or big) rescues can live a happily long life =] Keep it up!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Sulcatas are certainly an endearing species. My personal favorite, although I do like lots of others too.

Status
Not open for further replies.