New Sulcata Owner with a few questions and concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobibaby

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
hi Adam and welcome to the forum.. i have a baby sulcata, well he is 7 months, i got him when he was less than a month old, i followed exactly what tom says.. spray him 3-4 times a day give him lots of exercise outside in the sun and soak him everyday..santa barbara mix is the best, not too much spinach (avoid if u can) keep him hydrated and have fun they are the best u can look at some of my threads with tobi's pics.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome Adam. Sounds like you've gotten most of your questions answered already. Is your 10.0 bulb the long tube or coil type? I highly recommend against using the coil types. We have seen lots of problems with these. They appear to be harmful in many cases. The tubes seem to be fine, however. Still, nothing beats real sunshine. Congrats on the new baby. He/she looks great.

M

Maggie Cummings

Adam, your baby is very smooth and I don't see any signs of pyramiding.
I don't know this myself, but there is a guy here on TFO who sells lights and things and he says the 10.0 tube does not put out much UVB.
I always recommend a MVB (mercury vapor bulb) that's what I use and they seem to have the most UVB.
I wasn't thinking very good yesterday as I was trying to care for a bird with a broken leg and came on TFO so I didn't have to think about the bird, but I don't think pyramiding on it's own is painful but mixed with MBD it is very painful. It is the MBD that hurts, that's metabolic bone disease.So as long as you keep up on 4 things...80% humidity, a good and varied diet, strong UVB and lots of exercise your baby won't get pyramided and you won't have to worry about it...:)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Welcome to TFO, Adam! Very glad to see you here!

My apologies for the confusion/worry on your pic thread over at Fauna; I saw in your pics what I thought may be the beginning of pyramiding (slightly raised scutes), but I admit I am a bit unfamiliar with how a smooth, healthy hatchling's shell should look. ;) I trust everyone here's judgment far more than my own on this subject, so if Maggie, Yvonne, and the other "Tortoise Gurus" say your Sullie is smooth, then just ignore my alarmist opinion... Lol!

On another note, LOL, the "big baby" thing must be a Boxer trait... I have an 11 y/o boxer girl who's a total sissy around reptiles. She looks a lot like the one in Shelly's clip whenever I put a beardie or snake anywhere near her (just not as quick and spry in her get away, what with her arthritis). She wasn't so jumpy around tortoises, when I had them, but I bet she'd wet her pants if a big Sulcata charged her... Boxers are such a riot! :p

AdamR

5 Year Member
Maggie, Which MVB is best? I've seen several at the pet stores and I'd like to buy the right one since they are like $50 lol. I am switching her substrate today to what Tom had on his other thread. Thanks for you help! Glad she looks ok, I'm just a nervous new parent lol.

Taylor, it's no problem at all! I'm glad you pointed me in this direction! Now I'm confident my little one will get the best care I can give her with y'all guiding me! I can't wait till it gets warm and she gets to run around outside! I used to let my boxes run around, but that was simple since they're native here lol.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Welcome to the forum ~ you'll find we really like pictures and are happy to share our experiences with our torts... You have a cute baby, nice smooth shell.

teri

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I only have experience with the Zoo Med 100 watt Power Sun and the T-Rex Active UV/Heat, but T-Rex isn't available anymore. There are a couple different folks here on the forum and one of our advertising sponsors who sell the MVB's.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
MegaRay, T-Rex Active UVHeat, and Powersun are the three most recommended. The former two don't seem to be available anymore, unless you can find a supplier with majorly backstocked T-Rex's. I only have experience with Powersun. Mine has worked like a charm for the last year (actually just replaced it, finally, this week). A 100 watt will do for most enclosure situations, most especially smaller ones like you would have for a hatchling/juvenile Sullie.

Letting her run around outside is a great idea! Just make sure the enclosure is escape proof, as well as predator proof! There are all kinds of critters running around who wouldn't hesitate to make off with a baby tort when your back is turned.

M

Maggie Cummings

If I were you I would not get a light in a store as they are too expensive. Send a PM to Coastal or Corey I 'believe' they both sell bulbs or they can tell you where to get the right bulb. I guess Powersun is what everyone is using, I still have a couple of old T-rex bulbs those are what I have my experience with...

AdamR

5 Year Member
Ok so I finally got her tank set up a little better! Tell me what you think! The substrate is an organic top soil (they didn't have much else). The big light is a 100w Powersun (I got lucky, they took back the other bulb after I told them that I had found out it blinds animals, they gave me a discount on the powersun! Ended up being $30). I still don't know how to upload pics so here is the link to my other post on Fauna:

Both lights are on for now just to warm up the tank. When it gets up to th 90's I'll turn the small (IR night light) off. There is also a heat pad under the tank on the left side. Thanks every one for your help!

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1230557#post1230557

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't have an account there so I can't see your pictures...:(

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Did that show up ok?

The tank looks nice! Very well done! Just make sure the water dish(es?) is easy for him to get in and out of, and big enough for him to soak. :)

AdamR

5 Year Member
Taylor, thanks for posting the pics! I hope everything looks ok!

She's asleep in that pic. I thought it looked weird too but I think it was just the flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.