New Sulcata Mom

TeslasMom

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
Hello!
I recently rescued a young sulcata from my neighbors. They had it kept in a 10 gallon aquarium, with no lighting. From my research, I've learned that improper care can stunt growth. Does anyone know if there is a way to tell how old "she" is? She's about 6 inches long by 4.5 inches. We've only had her for a few days and she's been getting lots of time outside (we live in Arizona). She's eating a cuttlebone like crazy (it was the only calcium I had), loves her greens and veggies and seems very active. Except for today... Today she wants to sleep, but I gather she's still in the transition period. I've been skimming the posts on here for a few days, but if anyone has any suggestions for a new tortoise mom, I'm all ears. I did run a small rescue in WI, mostly for geckos, bearded dragons and small snakes. So I'm not a complete newb to herps. Thanks for any help! 20190809_085748_HDR~2.jpg

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Welcome to the forum! It is so wonderful that you are recuing this sweet baby. There is a ton of great info on this site.....check the sulcata information under "Tortoise Species" for all sorts of important feeding, housing, lighting and heating info. Best of luck to you!

TeslasMom

Phoenix, AZ
Welcome to the forum! It is so wonderful that you are recuing this sweet baby. There is a ton of great info on this site.....check the sulcata information under "Tortoise Species" for all sorts of important feeding, housing, lighting and heating info. Best of luck to you!
Thank you! I've already learned so much

TeslasMom

Phoenix, AZ
Warm water soaks daily for about a half hour each time.
Thank you! I'm working on a humid hide as well. How long do you typically give them access to a humid hide? Or is this something that will be needed for her whole life... I'm picturing a huge humid shed

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you! I'm working on a humid hide as well. How long do you typically give them access to a humid hide? Or is this something that will be needed for her whole life... I'm picturing a huge humid shed
Until they get about 10" which is normally around 2 yrs old. You should keep them inside in a closed enclosure to keep humidity 80% <. In your situation not knowing the age. I will let someone else chime in.
Oh yeah Welcome!