New Sulcata Foster Parent, Would Appreciate Advice!

madbad

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, Ca
I just got permission from my wife to seriously look for a new home if we don't hear from her sister within one week!

:tort::<3:

daniellenc

Maryland
...for the tortoise that is.

Lol are u sure??? Obviously the sister can’t take care of herself let alone a tort. You’re doing the right thing by rehoming it. Let her be mad who cares she’s a homeless drug addict living out of her car......what’s she going to do? The tort will need a yard and obviously you know you can’t accommodate a tortoise of that size but pssst there are smaller ones just saying you have all the stuff hehe.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Maggie Cummings I'm so sorry about Bob. I've read so much about him - he was an incredible tortoise. May I ask, what changed your mind about the cause of death, from thinking it was the Vet to thinking it was diet related?

I just want to give our little guy the best conditions possible, so anything I can learn from more experienced keepers is appreciated
You're really not getting the big picture. Maggie feels like she killed Bob because she gave him quite a lot of kale. Kale is a goiterigen and while it is an ok food to feed, it should not be fed as often or as much as she fed it. That might have contributed to the fact that Bob had a giant bladder stone. That's why she said she killed him. Also, the vet didn't throw the plastron away, but he DID fiberglass it back into place not knowing there was a bleeder inside the tortoise. Then he sent Bob home with Maggie, bleeding inside his shell, and still under the effects of the anesthesia. It's been a year since his death, and she's still very broken up by it, doesn't like to talk about it. Now we should get back to the subject at hand and leave Bob in peace.

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
Lol are u sure??? Obviously the sister can’t take care of herself let alone a tort. You’re doing the right thing by rehoming it. Let her be mad who cares she’s a homeless drug addict living out of her car......what’s she going to do? The tort will need a yard and obviously you know you can’t accommodate a tortoise of that size but pssst there are smaller ones just saying you have all the stuff hehe.

At first I had total tortoise fever...now that I see how much work it takes to be an ethical tortoise owner I'm not sure if I have it in me! I hate waking up at night and wondering if the tank is at the right temp! Or worrying that Morla is getting correct nutrition. Or the thousand other things you guys have to worry about.

You all have my utmost respect for giving your lives to these beautiful beasts!

As far as what a crazy, homeless, drug addict, with nothing to lose can do for revenge...use your imagination, then take it up a notch cuz I'm sure her imagination is more screwed than any of ours LOL!

Bambam1989

East Texas
At first I had total tortoise fever...now that I see how much work it takes to be an ethical tortoise owner I'm not sure if I have it in me! I hate waking up at night and wondering if the tank is at the right temp! Or worrying that Morla is getting correct nutrition. Or the thousand other things you guys have to worry about.

You all have my utmost respect for giving your lives to these beautiful beasts!

As far as what a crazy, homeless, drug addict, with nothing to lose can do for revenge...use your imagination, then take it up a notch cuz I'm sure her imagination is more screwed than any of ours LOL!
It's very hard having a close family member that is addicted to drugs. Unfortunately I have experience with the kinds of things they are capable of. Keep your doors locked, ask your neighbors to keep an eye out.

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
So with a little research, using google-fu of course, I have come to the conclusion that the original owner's only legal recourse would be to sue me in small claims court. In order to do that she would have to provide proof that she actually purchased the tortoise, something I doubt she would be able to do. For all I know she could have stolen it!

The recommended defense to this is to threaten a counter suit for the cost of care, including the average cost of boarding an exotic reptile in addition to feeding expenses. This would, of course, be more than the original cost of the tortoise or the cost of a replacement.

It has also been recommended that I make report with the police of animal abandonment.

daniellenc

Maryland
Do you really think she’ll care? I mean she just left the tort and hasn’t been back. Drug addicts will even leave their kids with no regard....ask me how I know. That tortoise deserves a great home and she’s not capable. If she loves him she’ll respect you did what was best.

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
Do you really think she’ll care? I mean she just left the tort and hasn’t been back. Drug addicts will even leave their kids with no regard....ask me how I know. That tortoise deserves a great home and she’s not capable. If she loves him she’ll respect you did what was best.

I think she likely cares more about the tortoise than she does herself.

But no, I don't really think she will care enough to serve me with a lawsuit.

I, however, do care about following the rules and knowing that the law is on my side helps me sleep at night LOL!

I know all about drug addicts leaving their children...ask me how I know.

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
95.7 grams today and now up for adoption!

If anyone is interested in adopting this awesome little guy let me know either by post or PM (x-posting in adoptions)

I'm not looking for any sort of re-homing fee but if I have to ship, I will need you to pay.

Please expect tons of rude questions and be prepared with pictures of where you plan to keep it and your yard. I really want Morla to go to a forever home but I would rather surrender it to a local sanctuary than have it go to a home that isn't right or to someone who is going to resell it.

Morla is now 95.6 grams and approximatly 3-5 months old by my estimation, clear eyed and being kept in moist conditions with daily soaks. Current diet consists of finely chopped, rehydrated orchard hay, optunia cactus, Mazuri, and various greens and weeds.

Here is a terrible picture ;)

tort.jpg cat.jpg

..ok the kitty isn't up for adoption.

Here is some info on her history:

Hi, guys just wanted to introduce myself and tell you my story. 2 days ago a cute lil Sulcata Tortoise was kind of dumped in my lap. My sister-in-law is a generally irresponsible person with serious drug problems and while LIVING OUT OF A CAR!!, purchased a Sulcata o_O. Her plan was to keep it until it was too big then take it to the tortoise refuge in Anderson, CA.:mad:. My wife and I caught up with her living out of her car and brought her and her tort home.

Currently, I live in apartment with no yard and cant provide a real future for my new lil buddy. Normally I would be trying to re-home this guy (and really now is the time because he is still small and so cute!) but I don't actually own this beautiful beast, and I'm not exactly sure what to do about this.

I don't really think he is getting the best care from it's owner, after spending just a couple hours on these forums I have noticed a litany of problems with it's care (low temperature, poor diet, dehydration, no UVB bulb, low humidity substrate, undersized tank). Luckily, with the help of these forums, all of these problems can be solved (except the fact that it has no future in an apartment).

So far I have: Adjusted the basking lamp to make sure he is getting enough heat (his lamp wasn't pointing directly at his basking spot also i ordered a temp gun off amazon so this wont happen again). Purchased some dark leafy greens (he LOVES kale) and I am going to harvest wild grass today, I also ordered some Mazuri. Started him on a daily soaking regimen (he has peed once and pooped twice since I got him day before yesterday both times while soaking and everything looked as I expected it to). I replaced his dirty Cyprus bark bedding with half and half Cyprus and coconut bedding (hydrated I also have a hygrometer coming). I'm going out today to shop for a UVB bulb and a ceramic heat emitter. He is living in a 20 Gallon aquarium:( so I am going to do some research and next week on payday im gong to make some sort of enclosure (Rubbermaid tub? any recommendations or links?)

What have i missed?

Healthwise, the tort seems pretty good, regular bowel movements, healthy appetite (once the temp was fixed) and loves to roam his tank (which also happens to be it's name! Tank!) he is 52.3 grams but I have no idea of the age. Ill get you guys a picture soon, I have terribad photographic equipment so it may be rough.

My MAIN CONCERN is for my new pal's future, I'm certain I don't have the resources to care for a growing Sulcata, and I'm almost positive the actual owner won't ever be able to give it the home it needs. She is dead set on keeping it though :( (she seems to think it will be like 20 years before it gets too big to handle).

Is it legal for me to surrender someone else's animal? I don't really GAF if she gets mad at me (temporary anger vs the life of an animal, amiright?), but I don't really want to break the law here. Anyone else have luck convincing someone to surrender their tort? Would her knowingly putting the tort back in to the bad situation of living out of her car constitute animal abuse or animal cruelty? (maybe I could gain some leverage there...)

The upside to this whole mess is that I have now caught Tortoise Fever! I really want my own lil guy! Are there any Torts that can thrive (not just tolerate) living in an apartment situation?

Thanks for reading my book you guys. I really appreciate the knowledge base you folks have created, it beats the hell out of any other information I found out there in the web.

Until next time :tort::<3::tort::<3:

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
95.7 grams today and now up for adoption!

If anyone is interested in adopting this awesome little guy let me know either by post or PM (x-posting in adoptions)

I'm not looking for any sort of re-homing fee but if I have to ship, I will need you to pay.

Please expect tons of rude questions and be prepared with pictures of where you plan to keep it and your yard. I really want Morla to go to a forever home but I would rather surrender it to a local sanctuary than have it go to a home that isn't right or to someone who is going to resell it.

Morla is now 95.6 grams and approximatly 3-5 months old by my estimation, clear eyed and being kept in moist conditions with daily soaks. Current diet consists of finely chopped, rehydrated orchard hay, optunia cactus, Mazuri, and various greens and weeds.

Here is a terrible picture ;)

View attachment 238575 View attachment 238577

..ok the kitty isn't up for adoption.

Here is some info on her history:
I hope you find a great home for her. I'm in the UK and couldn't home a second sulcata anyway but there are so many fantastic people on here I'm sure you'll find her a home very soon. Good luck to you both [emoji4]

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
I have some interest on craigslsit already, but its a wolves den over there I have to be extra careful and ask for tons of pictures and ask tons of questions and follow up questions

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
I have some interest on craigslsit already, but its a wolves den over there I have to be extra careful and ask for tons of pictures and ask tons of questions and follow up questions

I have already said no to two people from craigslist in the past 2 hours lol!

:<3::tort::<3:

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
Morla weighed in today at 101 grams!

Even better news! We found an awesome new home for Morla and they are getting dropped off tonight!

The new owner has lots of herp experience, a yard, and she used to rehab western pond turtles!

Seems ideal!

:<3::tort:

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Morla weighed in today at 101 grams!

Even better news! We found an awesome new home for Morla and they are getting dropped off tonight!

The new owner has lots of herp experience, a yard, and she used to rehab western pond turtles!

Seems ideal!

:<3::tort:

@madbad glad to hear you found a suitable home :)

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I dropped Morla off last night, the lady seemed very nice and was open to discussing tortoise husbandry without acrimony, lol! a good start!

Cool! Any plans to keep in touch with her new keeper? You seem to have gotten to be pretty knowledgeable about tortoises since you got here. I hope you stick around :)

Maybe a smaller species of tortoise is in your future? :)

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
We exchanged numbers and I'm hoping she sends me some updates and photos! Maybe we will even see her around here.

Right now I am enjoying not having to make a tortoise salad first thing when i wake up ;) so it might be some days before I bring another herp into the home. I'm considering fostering/rehabbing animals, in order to help animals and have cool pets with out the long term commitment. I think I need more money coming in before I start doing this because I foresee vet bills doing this lol!

As far as sticking around, I have never had a problem talking authoritatively about things I have no experience with, I don't see why I should stop now :D

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
We exchanged numbers and I'm hoping she sends me some updates and photos! Maybe we will even see her around here.

Right now I am enjoying not having to make a tortoise salad first thing when i wake up ;) so it might be some days before I bring another herp into the home. I'm considering fostering/rehabbing animals, in order to help animals and have cool pets with out the long term commitment. I think I need more money coming in before I start doing this because I foresee vet bills doing this lol!

As far as sticking around, I have never had a problem talking authoritatively about things I have no experience with, I don't see why I should stop now :D

LOL