New sulcata enclosure almost done! Take a look

JoshSloane

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to show an update of my new baby sulcata enclosure build. Sorry for the poor lighting. Enclosure is 5'x2'x2.5' of 3/4 inch sanded plywood. I know that this will only last a short amount of time, but I plan on putting other reptiles in here after my guy outgrows it. The interior is sealed with two coats of white Drylok, and is absolutely moisture tight. I have a 72w indoor/outdoor flood bulb for basking, and a 100w ceramic heater for ambient temps and night heating, both on dimmers as of now. I am using a reptisun 10.0 t5 HO bulb in a sunblaster t5 fixture. It is hard to see but the wire lamps are hanging by 'S' clips attached to chains, which connect with hooks in the ceiling of the enclosure, to avoid tension on the electrical cords. I have a large piece of plexiglass that I am using as a door. Even before permanently attaching the plexi I am getting daytime ambients in the high 80s, basking spot around 110 deg, and around 72% humidity, with a cool side in the low 80s, and an overnight low of 81. I expect the humidity to rise once the plexi is fully attached, and there is double the substrate as I have now. Let me know what you all think! Total cost was around 250$, and about 3 days worth of labor.

IMG_0234.JPG IMG_0235.JPG

Prairie Mom

It looks like you've been working hard! It looks so nice that I'm glad you have plans to use it for other animals later. It's crazy how fast Sulcatas grow. Eventually, I'll need to dismantle our old chamber. It's going to break my heart to do it:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's lookin' good! All you need now is more substrate, a couple hiding places, some plants, a feeder, a waterer and a tortoise!! Piece of cake.