New store = New greens for Tallula !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Ok so this awesome new supermarket opened right by my work, it MASSIVE!!! First thing I thought of was, imagine how much fresh produce stuff they have for T ! So I ran to the produce section (they must have thought I was mental) and started jumping up and down at all the different lettuce mixes and organic stuff. (they must have thought i was more mental by then!). ANYHOO, I found a bag of "Earthbound Farm ORGANIC mixed baby greens"(has a USDA organic stamp on it) - looks awesome to me, there were just a couple I hadn't heard of, so I'll list the ingredients so someone can help me "ok" them :D

The ones in bold I don't know if they're ok or not...the rest I know :)

Red and Green Romain, Red & Green Oak leaf, Red Leaf, Lollo Rosa, Tango, Organic Red & Green Chard, Organic Mizuna, Organic Arugula, Organic Mache, Organic Frisee, Organic Raddichio.

Help much appreciated !!! Tallula thanks you in advance for her new yummies :p

Oh AND, I bought some alfalfa sprouts as I remembered someone mentioning them before....are they ok for Tallula to eat as well, on top of her greens?
Heres a pic of alfalfa sprouts

alfalfa_sprouted.jpg

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Stace,
Mache is ok but I am not sure about the other ones. I am not sure but I think I already heard to not feed the alfalfa sprouts. I can' t wait to see the other responses :)

Stazz

5 Year Member
Ok so Mache is ok, thats a good start !!! :p Yeah you know what, I think I may have asked about sprouts before, but can't remember the response ! hopefully all the other lettuces are okay too :D Will be soooo yummy for Tallula !

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Stazz said:
Ok so this awesome new supermarket opened right by my work, it MASSIVE!!!
Congratulations on the new Market Woo Hoo :)

The ones in bold I don't know if they're ok or not...the rest I know :)

Red and Green Romain, Red & Green Oak leaf, Red Leaf, Lollo Rosa, Tango, Organic Red & Green Chard, Organic Mizuna, Organic Arugula, Organic Mache, Organic Frisee, Organic Raddichio.
All of these are fine. The Red and Green chard should be fed in moderate amounts of a varied diet. My spring mix has it in it too. But not enough to be of concern. IMHO
Help much appreciated !!! Tallula thanks you in advance for her new yummies :p

Tallula and you are welcome :p
Oh AND, I bought some alfalfa sprouts as I remembered someone mentioning them before....are they ok for Tallula to eat as well, on top of her greens?
Alfalfa sprout or really sprouts of any kind should not be fed. They tend to have more stuff packed into their small plant bodies, and that seems to be the bad stuff. I have read on several lists to avoid sprouts of any kind. But Alfalfa is way to high in protien.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Stace here is some more info I looked up. Hope it helps answer some of those questions for you. :)

Mache
Corn salad (Valerianella locusta) is a small dicot annual plant of the family Valerianaceae. It is also called Lewiston cornsalad, lamb's lettuce, field salad, mâche, and rapunzel.

Tango Lettuce
A loose leaf variety of lettuce that appears to look somewhat similar to curly endive. With broad green leaves that begin growing very frilly edges, Tango Lettuce develops into a longer length leaves with darker green coloring especially around the outer edges which become slightly less crinkled in appearance as the Lettuce matures.

Red Leaf Lettuce
The red pigment in red leaf lettuce contains small amounts of fairly strong antioxidants. Eating red leaf lettuce is a delicious way to get lots of vitamins A and K, plus the anti-oxidants beta carotene and lutein.

Arugula
Eruca sativa (syn. E. vesicaria subsp. sativa (Miller) Thell., Brassica eruca L.), also known as rocket or arugula, is an edible plant. It is a species of Eruca native to the Mediterranean region, from Morocco and Portugal east to Lebanon and Turkey

Red and Green Chard
Chard (Beta vulgaris var. cicla), also known by the common names Swiss Chard[1], Silverbeet, Perpetual Spinach, Spinach Beet, Crab Beet, Seakale Beet and Mangold, is a leafy vegetable and a Beta vulgaris subsp. maritima. Although the leaves are eaten, it is in the same species as the garden beet (beetroot) which is usually grown primarily for its edible roots. Cultivars of chard include green forms, such as 'Lucullus' and 'Fordhook Giant', as well as red-ribbed forms such as 'Ruby Chard', 'Rainbow Chard', and 'Rhubarb Chard'. All parts of the chard plant contain oxalic acid.

Mizuna
also called Xiu Cai, Kyona, Japanese Mustard, Potherb Mustard, Japanese Greens, California Peppergrass, Spider Mustard, etc.)
In addition to the term "mizuna" (and its alternates) being applied to at least two different species of Brassica, horticulturalists have defined and named a number of varieties. For example, a resource provided by Cornell University and the United States Department of Agriculture lists sixteen varieties including "Early Mizuna", "Kyona Mizuna", "Komatsuna Mizuna", "Vitamin Green Mizuna", "Kyoto Mizuna", "Happy Rich Mizuna", "Summer Fest Mizuna", "Tokyo Early Mizuna", "Mibuna Mizuna", "Red Komatsuna Mizuna", "Waido Mizuna" and "Purple Mizuna".
One fast-growing variety called "Organic Early Mizuna Mustard Salad Greens" by its Indiana-based seller reaches maturity in 48 days at 12 - 24” tall
Mizuna is a mild mustard green. Also known as Spider Mustard, its scientific name is Brassica rapa, which indicates it is related to broccoli and cabbage, with similar nutritional value. And like other brassica vegetables, it contains glucosinolates.
...contains vitamin C, folic acid, and antioxidants. And like other brassica vegetables, it contains glucosinolates, which may inhibit the development of certain cancers. Glucosinolates are the compounds that give brassicas, like Brussels sprouts and cabbage, their bitter flavor.

Information gotten from:
http://www.wordenfarm.com/recipesmizuna.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/
http://nutrition.about.com/od/fruitsandvegetables/p/redlettuce.htm

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Agreed! My little guy won't even touch the chard. I won't feed alfalfa sprouts, but do feed other types of sprouts like radish and weeds.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Awww thanks for all the amazing info Robs ! So its basically just the chard she shouldn't eat too much? I'll google a pic of the chard, cos Im not sure which leaf it is in the pack!!! lol. Thanks again, awesome info!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The chard has red lines through it; you can do a Google image search. I've never seen a mix of greens that has so much chard I would worry. You just wouldn't want to buy a head of it by itself for example.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Yeah I think there isn't much of the chard in the bag, and Tallula has been getting little bits of different types everyday from the pack, so handy :) Thanks for the info hehe

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I bet she loves it! It's so fun to spoil torts with food...it's about the only thing we can do as they aren't too into toys or playing. Trevor sure loves new fake plants and things to explore though. I built him ramps next to his log hide, and he runs up and down a lot!

Stazz

5 Year Member
When we move this wknd, I'm going to make Tallula's home uber exciting for her, loads of ramps and things to keep her occupied, as I've been concentrating more on packing up our place than keeping eher busy, but this wknd she'll have my full attention for good hehehe.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Awesome! This weekend I have planned to re-do the aspen in Trevor's enclosure. I have 8 sq ft about 8 inches deep so it's a chore. That and it's on top of a cabinet with 18 inch walls so I have to stand on a chair! No idea how people with multiple torts do it! It's been a few months, so time for a mostly complete change. I don't get every single particle, but he digs so much I try to get everywhere he may have pooped. hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.