New Soon-to-be Owner

animateash

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hi everyone,
My name is Ash and I have recently been approved to adopt a CA desert tortoise. We live in southern CA and purchased a house about a year ago. It has been a hope of mine to have a tortoise for a long time, and now that we finally have a yard to offer I wanted to adopt someone who had been given up.

We do not have our tortoise yet, but hope to in the next few weeks after yard modifications are complete. The tortoise club facilitating the adoption is proposing a match with a 50yr old male. Please see my recent post in the desert tortoise sub forum if you have any experience with males of these species. I had originally asked for a female, thinking it'd be easier, and I'm a bit nervous about dealing with male behaviors (mostly because I don't know what that would entail, and I had a nightmare of a time with my male parrot when he was in his prime). I welcome any advice you might have for a new tortoise mom. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I think a male might actually be easier as with a female you have to worry about them becoming egg bound, even with no males around. Hopefully with no females around he will be a happy grazing no problem tort for you.