New Snail Sacrifice For My Tortoise Table !

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
So I just set up the tortoise in his soaking tub, and filled it with hot water earlier. Well my BF just brought the tub in from being left outdoors, and a tiny *** snail crawled rapidly out from underneath it! I myself usually would be donating the suckered for a crunchy tort snack, but I also just love all shelled pets, so this lucky baby got spared and gets set up on my newly planted hanging planter. 20211015_195857.jpg20211015_195937.jpg

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Mabey if I give i give it a memorable enough name, I won't eventually lose interest in him and smash the thing.....???

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Oh ****....it's illegal to own a giant african land snail in America some day though. Eye roll. So much for the much desired snail upgrade some day... bogus.
Can someone describe what the next available species in large sized snail pets I could own in Oregon, North America?
My new baby gets to get spoiled, oh well.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I set it up with some bell pepper chunks, and a fake leaf to give it a hide for security. It also was gifted a chunk of cuttlebone, with a good pinch of calcium powder. I only wish that I had a piece of any fruit today.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
It also gets a nice mini pile of outdoor greens, plus grocery store salad greens to boot. See what I mean when I say spoiled. My new son!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
This little poops gets to be my new baby. I love my shelled pets, and I intend to cherish this one just as much!!! It already exhibits snail intelligence by sitting in one spot eating its beloved salad greens and not trying to climb the chains escaping...
I have owned 5 different garden snails as my pets, and I intend to keep this one perfect. I just hope I don't learn how inferior my past pet care has really been all of these years as a snail keeper.... oh no!!! My boy!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At first I was hesitant to respond on this post because I thought you were having conversation with yourself! Way to go, Beastie!!

I'm curious what makes you think Damien is going to stay in the hanging pot? One of our members who posts a lot on the Cold Dark Room thread keeps a garden snail as a pet. I think it was @Cathie G

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
At first I was hesitant to respond on this post because I thought you were having conversation with yourself! Way to go, Beastie!!

I'm curious what makes you think Damien is going to stay in the hanging pot? One of our members who posts a lot on the Cold Dark Room thread keeps a garden snail as a pet. I think it was @Cathie G
No that was Chef but I have snails that most people call slugs. They have horns though and are patterned and not what I think of as slugs. My snails have the coil in their body instead of a shell.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
This little poops gets to be my new baby. I love my shelled pets, and I intend to cherish this one just as much!!! It already exhibits snail intelligence by sitting in one spot eating its beloved salad greens and not trying to climb the chains escaping...
I have owned 5 different garden snails as my pets, and I intend to keep this one perfect. I just hope I don't learn how inferior my past pet care has really been all of these years as a snail keeper.... oh no!!! My boy!
If I managed to find a snail ? in a shell I would try it too.? Some of them are really beautiful. I liked the apple snail shells I found in Florida. Unfortunately I never found one with a living animal in the shell. They are supposedly extinct but some of the smaller shells I found were so fresh I find that hard to believe. I hope they're not.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
So I just set up the tortoise in his soaking tub, and filled it with hot water earlier. Well my BF just brought the tub in from being left outdoors, and a tiny *** snail crawled rapidly out from underneath it! I myself usually would be donating the suckered for a crunchy tort snack, but I also just love all shelled pets, so this lucky baby got spared and gets set up on my newly planted hanging planter. View attachment 334669View attachment 334670
So whatever happened with your little baby snail ?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Screenshot_20211025-192314_Chrome.jpg

Here is a thread I found. ^^^ ?

I have helix pomatia snails and I got them in state. They are captive bred. They get quite large. There is a lot more than you would think for care though regarding snails. Its actually pretty crazy.
That's Lorenzo saying hi

20210615_205149.jpg20210615_220009.jpg

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
View attachment 335139

Here is a thread I found. ^^^ ?

I have helix pomatia snails and I got them in state. They are captive bred. They get quite large. There is a lot more than you would think for care though regarding snails. Its actually pretty crazy.
That's Lorenzo saying hi

View attachment 335140View attachment 335141
Hey @Chefdenoel10 you've got to see this! It’s Gary’s long lost relative!! Very cool @Srmcclure There’s a few snail keepers on the forum and I’m just so jealous. I think they’re fascinating little creatures.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Hey @Chefdenoel10 you've got to see this! It’s Gary’s long lost relative!! Very cool @Srmcclure There’s a few snail keepers on the forum and I’m just so jealous. I think they’re fascinating little creatures.
Hahaha! My son is making me name one of my new babies Gary ??
They are so much fun. I can watch them for hours. It's so calming. I love how slow and steady they are. At the same time, they are sometimes faster than you think! (Especially when I put their favorite food in!)
Not a huge fan of having to cull, but you have to do what you have to do if your playing mother nature unfortunately. That's why this is the last clutch I let hatch for a long time ?