new sliding doors

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
so im not sure if anyone remembers my greenhouse enclosure

0210151645.jpg

well it split right down the middle. turns out constant exposure to head and humidity makes the tarping plastic become brittle it

i had a spare 2x4 enclosure that i made into a emergency enclosure as there was no saving the greenhouse the 2x4 is only till i make another one 3x6

new new.jpg
tortie.jpg

this enclosure had never been used for anything and originally had plexiglass doors until today when i learned that if you use plexiglass unframed it will warp if it's not the same temps inside and out the plexi will pull towards the warmth leaving me no option but to get real glass as pictures above

i got the glass for 8.35 a sheet of 26x24 at lowes for 8.35 i needed two it still cost less then plexiglass if ever looking for real glass go to a home improvement store lowes home depot etc and ask for replacement glass meant to fix a broken window

Last edited by a moderator:

yillt

so im not sure if anyone remembers my greenhouse enclosure View attachment 161011 well it split right down the middle. turns out constant exposure to head and humidity makes the tarping plastic become brittle it

i had a spare 2x4 enclosure that i made into a emergency enclosure as there was no saving the greenhouse the 2x4 is only till i make another one 3x6View attachment 161012 View attachment 161013 this enclosure had never been used for anything and originally had plexiglass doors until today when i learned that if you use plexiglass unframed it will warp if it's not the same temps inside and out the plexi will pull towards the warmth leaving me no option but to get real glass as pictures above

i got the glass for 8.35 a sheet of 26x24 at lowes for 8.35 i needed two it still cost less then plexiglass if ever looking for real glass go to a home improvement store lowes home depot etc and ask for replacement glass meant to fix a broken window
I'm not sure ir there was a question in there but I must say, it looks very nice either glass. The only thing I can see is that you need to add a little barrier at the bottom of the glass so your tortoise can't see out.

Edit: sorry, just saw a sight barrier? The wooden thing?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Darn. That's a shame about the greenhouse. I thought it was a great idea. Oh well...

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I'm not sure ir there was a question in there but I must say, it looks very nice either glass. The only thing I can see is that you need to add a little barrier at the bottom of the glass so your tortoise can't see out.

A lot of keepers don't block off the front of glass enclosures and have no issues. I don't prevent mine from seeing out and have witnessed no signs of stress. I think the glass-confusion issue gets a tad overblown.

Shame about the greenhouse, naturalman.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon

doesn't need one. my tort doesn't seem to care his green house was 360 degree clear all sided he could see he could careless about seeing out i will say this tho he seemed to like seeing out better then not and i never had a problem with him trying to plow through it

Darn. That's a shame about the greenhouse. I thought it was a great idea. Oh well...

i know when i first starting using it and seeing them i though i hit the enclosure jackpot lol

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks for sharing that with us - I have been looking for a similar greenhouse so you have probably saved me from the same problem.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Interesting that the plastic became brittle. @Elohi have your greenhouse tops had any similar issues?

Thanks for sharing. Something to keep in mind for sure when considering a green house chamber.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Thanks for sharing that with us - I have been looking for a similar greenhouse so you have probably saved me from the same problem.

the greenhouse it's self was pretty cheap but to make the wood base and all the problems it's just not worth it,
Interesting that the plastic became brittle. @Elohi have your greenhouse tops had any similar issues?

Thanks for sharing. Something to keep in mind for sure when considering a green house chamber.

i was actually thinking that same thing i saw her tagged on the reptile report on fb and it showed her enclosure i almost wonder if it's because mine was fully surrounding where as hers has a plastic bottom i think it's plastic anyway, could even just be better quality which im almost sure it is

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
A lot of keepers don't block off the front of glass enclosures and have no issues. I don't prevent mine from seeing out and have witnessed no signs of stress. I think the glass-confusion issue gets a tad overblown.

Shame about the greenhouse, naturalman.

Just a tad. Yeah, I'm being sarcastic.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have the same greenhouse Elohi has. Sure hope the same thing doesn't happen.
To the OP, were you using a plastic that was considered greenhouse plastic? If not that might be the reason for getting brittle

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I have the same greenhouse Elohi has. Sure hope the same thing doesn't happen.
To the OP, were you using a plastic that was considered greenhouse plastic? If not that might be the reason for getting brittle

yeah it was the plastic that came with it those one's you guys have seem better quality

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas

No issues but it's made with pretty heavy materials. (Lifetime greens house tent that came wishy the raised bed kits)