new set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
Floof said:
Good, definitely keep that cool side down low so he can cool off if needed. Otherwise, like I said, nothing wrong with trying new things... Just look how far tortoise care has come in the last few years, with people trying high humidity/hydration with "desert" species! Actually, there is a corn snake breeder trying something similar over at the Cornsnakes.com forum. You might check in with him and find out how things are going with that. Here's his thread on the subject: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122237

I'm not gutsy enough to be trying it any time soon, but it'll be interesting to see how it pans out for you and others like Chip who are experimenting with the idea.

(On another note, while I was tracking down Chip's thread on experimenting with a HOT hot side, I came across this thread regarding bioactive substrate in relation to corns. I haven't had a chance to go through the thread yet, but I'm sure the discussion will be a good read! http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53051)

The Art of Keeping Snakes is a book. :) Great book, with lots of pretty pictures, lol. Actually, there's a section in the back with some little species overviews, and this section is how I first stumbled across Taiwan Beauties... Here's my little girl! (She was having an interesting week--decided I was VERY tasty, two days in a row... Hasn't happened again, but it was quite funny!)

I'm screaming in my head right now! My mom would out right scream if she saw that pic!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
I'm screaming in my head right now! My mom would out right scream if she saw that pic!

LOL! What's funny about a little snake like this is that, even though it looks freaky and as if it SHOULD hurt (after all, there's an animal nomming on your arm! Eek!), I barely felt it! Any other animal (especially any rodent and many lizards), and it would have hurt!

But snakes? Nah. Most non-venomous snakes kept in captivity will not do much of any significant damage, and the especially small/young ones (like Wyvern, my beauty) hardly have big enough teeth or enough power behind their bite to cause much pain. Especially in Wyvern's case, where there's no strike involved--she just casually pushed her snout against my hand and opened wide!

Funny story. My first snake bite, ever, was from an adult version of Wyvern. This big girl was at least 6 feet and pretty hefty. She decided my hand looked like a rat, and wouldn't let go for anything! Ended up spending several minutes over the bathroom sink testing hot water, cold water; under the faucet, underwater... Finally managed to pull her off when she loosened up to adjust her grip.
Now THAT was a frightening bite, if for no more reason than it being my first ever, but it should be noted that, once I got over the shock of being bit, it wasn't so much painful as it was obnoxious to deal with. LOL. To this day, one of my biggest sorrows is that I didn't think to get a picture!

poison

5 Year Member
lol my first bite was from a 7ft boa at at a local pet store and i was only 9 lol. but the worst snake bite was from a 6ft blood python

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Now THAT is an impressive first bite, lol!

Here's one bite of mine that DID hurt, a little bit. The pain had nothing to do with the bite itself, so much as the fact that she decided to PULL at my skin. It's something I see the Rosy boas do regularly, with anything they mistake for food (including actual food), though I couldn't say why it is they do it... Just that it isn't terribly pleasant!
This is Volvagia, a Whitewater Rosy Boa.
74526_216410_VeryLarge_aAZm2rI70Nmj7u.jpg

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
My hands are small, which probably makes her look bigger than she actually is. I could see how, if she were wrapped around a guy's hand, she'd probably look a LOT smaller!

She's actually only 2.5 ft and 300 grams and still growing. From my understanding (seems like actual, quantifiable "adult size" information on Rosies is hard to find), adult female Whitewaters boast the potential to hit 3.5 ft, give or take. :)

poison

5 Year Member
you must have some very tiny hands then because that rosy looks huge to me lol

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Cute! I just moved my female Kisatchie corn into a planted viv... I'll have to throw up some pics once I'm down procrastinating downloading them! She's already torn it up burrowing everywhere... Silly snakes! I never quite realized just how much corns like to burrow, having only kept them on aspen.

poison

5 Year Member
i cant wait to see the pics :D i never really knew either its pretty cool to see hoe creative they can be :) what kind of plants are you using? i only have one pothos and its taking forever to grow in the sand/soil lol.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
poison said:
i cant wait to see the pics :D i never really knew either its pretty cool to see hoe creative they can be :) what kind of plants are you using? i only have one pothos and its taking forever to grow in the sand/soil lol.

Yikes, I don't know how I managed to miss this, lol! Sorry!

I have a pothos and an asparagus fern in her enclosure. The pothos is growing GREAT, has already put on quite a bit of size. I'm using an organic potting soil/coconut coir mix. I wonder if the lack of sand has something to do with the difference in growth? That or lighting (I have a retired reptisun 10.0 over it for the plants). Because I'm finding the pothos to be very fast-growing.. Even contemplating snipping it back soon!

Here's a couple pics..
Freshly planted:
95766_253310_Large_Hbvqu8Cc4qn.jpg

A few days ago, to show the growth on the pothos:
95766_257645_Large_YUGEIdWs7P.jpg

Great to see your guy is doing so well, though I must say your video reminded me how glad I am that all my snakes take frozen/thaw... LOL. Just about had a heart attack when the mouse's head was flailing around. Would be just too easy for it to get in a bite and do some damage. Yikes. Anyway, that's a beautiful corn you have there. :)

poison

5 Year Member
i love your setup it looks great :) any pics of the sanke?. And yeah i have found that the pothos was growing very slow in the sand so decided to take it out. it grows well in my other setups with no uvb but grows rapidly with my setup with uvb.

i wish i could find F/T for cheep out here but they charge a lot and shipping is a lot for dead mice lol. hes gotten some pretty bad bites from rats so i decided no more rats mice only lol. Havent had any problems with mice bites so far.

LunaLupus

5 Year Member
Gotta pop on here for a second.

Great set up!

And yes, corns will turn cannibalistic if they are hungry. I can't think of a snake that won't if it's hungry enough. I recently saw evidence that even blood pythons will munch on each other if provoked. *shudder* Expensive lesson on that one!

poison

5 Year Member
LunaLupus said:
Gotta pop on here for a second.

Great set up!

And yes, corns will turn cannibalistic if they are hungry. I can't think of a snake that won't if it's hungry enough. I recently saw evidence that even blood pythons will munch on each other if provoked. *shudder* Expensive lesson on that one!

thanks :) and yeah im sure they would if they were hungry. but if kept well fed i dont think they would bother imo.

heres 2 milks living together http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/jayhardcore/078.jpg
those belong to the same person that made me wanna try this out.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Have you tried pre-killing? Once you learn to do it right, cervical dislocation on mice is super easy, and a nice fast way to euthanize them. I keep hearing CO2 is easy, too, though I haven't really tried it.

Here's the female Kisatchie who's living in the planted viv. I'll have to get better pictures of her and the male, and put up a new thread... They aren't very good about letting me photograph them. :p Actually, this picture was taken just a few days ago. She's had one shed cycle in the planted enclosure so far, and just looks fantastic.
95766_257640_VeryLarge_kRXJMYDu6y1C.jpg

Re: Cannibalism, I recently came across this thread... http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?183744-Corn-shows-King-Cobra-who-is-boss-*GRAPHIC* Goes to show--NEVER underestimate a corn snake!! Lol!

poison

5 Year Member
very pretty girl what morph?

and yeah i saw that thread too i was pretty shocked

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
She's a Kisatchie (aka Slowinski's) Corn snake. They used to be classified as a subspecies of the corn snake, but I think they've been reclassified as their own species now (Pantherophis slowinskii). Native to Louisiana and eastern Texas. She's a normal/"wild-type." :)

Status
Not open for further replies.