New Set Up - Opinions Please

Ninpoop

Location (City and/or State)
Dorset
Hey all,

So I brought my new tortoise today and have set the vivarium up to how the store advised.
Just wondered if I could get your opinions and if there needs to be any tweaks to what I’ve done?
Little tortoise seems to have settled in well straight away and has already eaten and taken a bath in the water!

I have tried to take a photo of each half of the vivarium in each picture.

Thank you!
IMG_2816.jpgIMG_2818.jpg

xMario

Germany
Hey all,

So I brought my new tortoise today and have set the vivarium up to how the store advised.
Just wondered if I could get your opinions and if there needs to be any tweaks to what I’ve done?
Little tortoise seems to have settled in well straight away and has already eaten and taken a bath in the water!

I have tried to take a photo of each half of the vivarium in each picture.

Thank you!
View attachment 275617View attachment 275618
Hello and welcome to the forum [emoji1]

Read this pls: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Definitely change the water bowl to a terracotta dish ur current water bowl is a drowning hazard if ur little guy falls on his back.

I would also take the hay out. at the high humidity u need it will mold.

More experienced tortoise keepers will sure shine in to give u further help

Read the link and enjoy ur new family member [emoji217]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks big enough for the time being, but you need to keep it warm and humid in there. Is it enclosed? Also, I'd put the temperature sensor down to the floor, not hanging up high like that.

Ninpoop

Dorset
It looks big enough for the time being, but you need to keep it warm and humid in there. Is it enclosed? Also, I'd put the temperature sensor down to the floor, not hanging up high like that.

Yes this is enclosed, they advised this size for the time being but not for too long as it’ll soon begin to put grow its home!
I am waiting for some hooks to attach the sensor to the side so it doesn’t hang so much at all but will move further down too.

I also wondered what kind of information should I record to track the growth of my tortoise?

Thank you for your help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes this is enclosed, they advised this size for the time being but not for too long as it’ll soon begin to put grow its home!
I am waiting for some hooks to attach the sensor to the side so it doesn’t hang so much at all but will move further down too.

I also wondered what kind of information should I record to track the growth of my tortoise?

Thank you for your help!
I get a piece of blank 8.5x11 paper, set the baby in the middle of it and trace around the outside of him with a pencil, marking the date inside the tracing. Then in a month or so I make another tracing on the same piece of paper:

tracing.jpg

Ghazan

5 Year Member
What are the temps and I don't see any plants or hides for cover

Ninpoop

Dorset
Hello, there is a hide in the corner which has since been moved as the little mite likes to climb up it!
The place I got it from only had fake plants and so this weekend I am going to see if I can get some live plants instead. I have also since uploading these photos added a plant to one of the corners.
I live in the uk any tips as to the plants I can add to this viv?
The temp is set to 30 degrees and I am due to receive a humidity monitor today to help keep that between 70-80% as I have researched.