New set up any comments or recommendations appreciated

Norm2020

Location (City and/or State)
Cambridge UK
Hi over last few months ive been gathering info and hopefully some knowledge on keeping a western hermanns tortoise. So before i set it all up i would like to run through what i was planning to do before collect her. I have purchased through a recommended breeder and the great thing is she will be held until i'm fully ready and happy with the set up. I have asked the breeder for advice but thought that be good to get some experienced peoples view as well, so here goes.

Firstly shes about 6 months old so you have some idea of the size and to start, until the summer (If that arrives here in UK) ill be keeping in a table set up indoors but will be moving outside when weather permits, then ill use the table for the odd bit of time before and after hibernation. I have also enclosed the table as i know the first thing most US keepers say is use a Viv.

Housing
So housing is an enclosed table with cover for humidity and coco soil substrate,few smooth rocks with two hides one of which is humid hide filled with moss to hold humidity. Water bowl which i was intending to use rain water as heard this was a good thing to do as tap water could contain unnatural chemicals etc. Then flat slate for feeding area. Any ideas for some live plants that do well would be appreciated, or anything else that's good to have.

Light and Heat

Basking heat provided by a ceramic heat reflector with ceramic bulb controlled by a pulse thermostat, temp set to 33 c in the basking spot, then the ambient room temp is 18c (In winter) but inside the table its higher. At night the temp can drop in the room to 15.5 c will these room temps be a problem? Thermostats are set to check the cool end temp and the basking temp.

lighting is provided 12hrs of standard led strip light and 4hrs or 10% Uvb tube lighting in the middle of the day. Any advice on how long each light should be on would be welcomed.

Food supplements

Here is where im not sure ive got it right! So supplements im thinking of always providing a dish of Limestone Flour for calcium and then giving nutrobal twice a week. Food wise i was going to give home grown from the garden weeds,dried flowers and plants. All this to me being a new tortoise keeper doesn't seem enough but is that the case that that all they need? Also how much do people provide is there a guide based on size of the tortoise?

Also i know that i need to bathe her everyday for first year and then at least 3 times per week.
Please note i have probably forgot a lot while writing this but any tips or telling offs or advice welcome id like to get this all right before collecting

Plus anything ive missed!

Many thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can compare your list with the Hermanns care sheet pinned towards the top of the Hermanns section