New Scottish member

Stevie909

'Morning folks,

New member from Scotland, just picked up my first tortoise yesterday. He's a Hermann's called Helmut and so far he seems to be a lazy sod.

When we got him home he roamed about his table quite the thing, then he discovered his food bowl and got stuck into it. Toddled off under cover and nestled in for the night. 12 hours later he's still dozing, I'm guessing this is normal? Checked him and he is still alive, so must just be tired from his big day.

Looking forward to being on here and learning as much as I can to be a good dad, I'll most likely be the neurotic parent on here every 5mins!

Stevie

IMG_2910.JPG

Greta16

Location (City and/or State)
Western Maine
Welcome!! Looks like my Hermie, she is just under 4 months and can be quite lazy..I'm no expert at all, but I'm learning tons on here. He or she prob is stressed from the move and needs time to chill. I'll let the experts chime in.

Stevie909

Welcome!! Looks like my Hermie, she is just under 4 months and can be quite lazy..I'm no expert at all, but I'm learning tons on here. He or she prob is stressed from the move and needs time to chill. I'll let the experts chime in.

Thank you! Had some calls earlier so popped home to check on him and he's sitting under the lamp looking quite pleased with himself. I think you're right, I can imagine the journey took it out of him it certainly did me!

Greta16

Western Maine
Thank you! Had some calls earlier so popped home to check on him and he's sitting under the lamp looking quite pleased with himself. I think you're right, I can imagine the journey took it out of him it certainly did me!
My Hermie hid for the first day and a half.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Stevie and welcome to a great place for up to date information that many breeders and pet shops don't know about and don't tell you.
You may find that you read/get advice that contradicts what you've already been told but keep in mind that pet shops are in it for profit and will often sell you unsuitable and unsafe equipment, whereas people here with years of experience are only here for the love of torts and everything they say only has the best interest and health of torts at heart. So if in doubt always follow the advice here.
Have you found the caresheet for Hermanns yet? That will tell you all about diet, temps, humidity and recommended substrates etc.
The Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) will help you avoid problems and the Enclosures thread has some great ideas.
So have a good read and ask as many questions as you need someone will be around to point you on the right direction.
If you post a picture of your enclosure members will help you make sure you have the safest equipment and lights etc and the best possible environment for your new baby.

Stevie909

Cheers all for the welcomes. Really is a wealth of info here to get thru which will keep me busy.

Helmut is settling in just fine, he's quite a character. Seems dead content having a munch then sunbathing and dozing, loves burrowing away for the night. Currently using the shredded aspen but will swap for something better when I clean him out in a few weeks, don't want to change too much while he's settling in.

Gus.

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!

4wzAwVa.gif