New Russian, worms, possibly gravid, and possible mbd?

Greta16

Location (City and/or State)
Western Maine
I talked some with Yvonne since my last thread about my new Russian that I've since named 'Jenny'. She finally pooped and I sent Yvonne the pic, there are worms visible to the naked eye. She also confirmed that this tort is at least 8-10 and wild caught since that's all petsmart sells. The family I got her from had no lights and had her in a tiny aquarium. They told me she may be gravid as her mate (that recently died)had mated with her. Yvonne let me know the high worm burden may be tricking her body into thinking she's pregnant. She has yet to eat, that's worrying me and now that I've had her 4 days I've noticed her back legs are always splayed out. Even when I pick her up for the bath they stay that way when I touch them. I'm so worried that she may have mbd too, which would make sense with no lights for the last year. The first day she was pretty active now she's not. I bathe her and put her back and she stays put in the spot. I'm wondering if I should try and give her some of the critical care diet that I got for my Hermie, but never got to use. I want to so SOMETHING before I call the vet tomorrow. Would having some food in her stomach stimulate her appetite? 20190512_162445.jpeg20190512_164453.jpeg

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I talked some with Yvonne since my last thread about my new Russian that I've since named 'Jenny'. She finally pooped and I sent Yvonne the pic, there are worms visible to the naked eye. She also confirmed that this tort is at least 8-10 and wild caught since that's all petsmart sells. The family I got her from had no lights and had her in a tiny aquarium. They told me she may be gravid as her mate (that recently died)had mated with her. Yvonne let me know the high worm burden may be tricking her body into thinking she's pregnant. She has yet to eat, that's worrying me and now that I've had her 4 days I've noticed her back legs are always splayed out. Even when I pick her up for the bath they stay that way when I touch them. I'm so worried that she may have mbd too, which would make sense with no lights for the last year. The first day she was pretty active now she's not. I bathe her and put her back and she stays put in the spot. I'm wondering if I should try and give her some of the critical care diet that I got for my Hermie, but never got to use. I want to so SOMETHING before I call the vet tomorrow. Would having some food in her stomach stimulate her appetite? View attachment 272041View attachment 272042
That food wouldn’t do any harm, however getting her to eat it may be tricky. Is her shell quite soft? And do her legs stretch out all the time?

I would definitely get in contact with a reputable exotics vet.

Greta16

Western Maine
That food wouldn’t do any harm, however getting her to eat it may be tricky. Is her shell quite soft? And do her legs stretch out all the time?

Her shell is actually nice and hard. The owners had her for a year, previously Pet smart had her. I'm not sure if a year with no uvb could make mbd start. The back legs are like that all the time. The owners told me she hadn't been eating but they really couldn't tell me for how long as it was a 10 year old who was paying attention. So that and then probably pancur for worms and the not eating will go on for a while.

Greta16

Western Maine

I forgot to mention I'll be calling the vet in the morning. I believe they will get her in that morning.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Was her previous home a glass aquarium with no substrate? Leg problems like U described are usually a result from that

Greta16

Western Maine
Was her previous home a glass aquarium with no substrate? Leg problems like U described are usually a result from that
Yes, basicly. Like so little substrate you could see the tank bottom in some spots where she had been walking around in it.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Yes, basicly. Like so little substrate you could see the tank bottom in some spots where she had been walking around in it.
get this :tort: on some good substrate & don't baby it let it walk around and struggle and exercise those legs and get it stronger

Greta16

Western Maine
get this :tort: on some good substrate & don't baby it let it walk around and struggle and exercise those legs and get it stronger
Yes, she's got some good thick topsoil and spagnum moss. I want to get some calcium into her which I can't do since she's not eating!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I honestly don't think a year of bad care is going to cause MBD or other problems like that. Offer food everyday, flowers are favorite treat of Russians and sprinkle very very lightly calcium powder on said flowers. Very very lightly it's got a strong smell and too much will put the tortoise off the food

Greta16

Western Maine
I honestly don't think a year of bad care is going to cause MBD or other problems like that. Offer food everyday, flowers are favorite treat of Russians and sprinkle very very lightly calcium powder on said flowers. Very very lightly it's got a strong smell and too much will put the tortoise off the food
Oh if only the flowers were in bloom yet! I was thinking the same thing. Any day now we should have some dandelion flowers and some violets.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Oh if only the flowers were in bloom yet! I was thinking the same thing. Any day now we should have some dandelion flowers and some violets.
African violets?