New Russian tortoise not eating

Mat

Location (City and/or State)
Clovis
Hello,

I recently brought home a new Russian tortoise, it's been 5 days and he has not eaten anything I've offered. I've given him romaine lettuce, marigold flowers and leaves, garden sage, carrots, and baby arugula; but nothing seems to interest him. I have soaked him as well one day for about 20 minutes. He hasn't pooped yet either that I've seen.

Should I be worried?

Dlamonda

Grants Pass
Ok trying this again.
My tort is a rescue Cicil. Hasnt eaten, hasn't popped or peed. I fed or attempt to feed all kinds of stuff. I soak him twice a day in squash baby food and or Prune juice. The other issue his eyes. Ive been dropping saline in each. One eye will slightly open while other remains closed. I let him in my grassy yard to graze. Please someone help me. He does have vet appointment. My little guy has had a bad start in life.

Dlamonda

Grants Pass
Cicil here is Cicil soaking.

Attachments

• 1599070911212418842615153630050.jpg
    1599070911212418842615153630050.jpg
    840.1 KB · Views: 22

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Hello,

I recently brought home a new Russian tortoise, it's been 5 days and he has not eaten anything I've offered. I've given him romaine lettuce, marigold flowers and leaves, garden sage, carrots, and baby arugula; but nothing seems to interest him. I have soaked him as well one day for about 20 minutes. He hasn't pooped yet either that I've seen.

Should I be worried?
Tortoises take some time to get settled in, continue with soaks, except up them to 30 minutes once per day for the first couple weeks.

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Well.............Where did you get your tort? How was it taken care of before you got it? Can you put up pictures of you're tortoise housing.

Colorado Springs,CO
Also read this care sheet...

Colorado Springs,CO
Ok trying this again.
My tort is a rescue Cicil. Hasnt eaten, hasn't popped or peed. I fed or attempt to feed all kinds of stuff. I soak him twice a day in squash baby food and or Prune juice. The other issue his eyes. Ive been dropping saline in each. One eye will slightly open while other remains closed. I let him in my grassy yard to graze. Please someone help me. He does have vet appointment. My little guy has had a bad start in life.
You might want to try making your own thread about this, people here are more focused on helping the OP

Mat

Clovis
Ok thank you for the help everyone! I appreciate it! Here is Donald’s terrarium. The hot side is about 90 degrees

Attachments

• 12D09E72-0FA1-49AD-97BC-C22D2A6DCBF1.jpeg
    12D09E72-0FA1-49AD-97BC-C22D2A6DCBF1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39

Colorado Springs,CO
Ok thank you for the help everyone! I appreciate it! Here is Donald’s terrarium. The hot side is about 90 degrees
How old is he? If he’s not a hatchling he’ll need at least 8ft by 4ft of space. Can you post pictures of him? Those red bulbs are terrible for tortoises, they mess with their eyes get rid of it. Make sure his water bowl is big enough for him to soak in. I suggest you read that care sheet carefully, it will explain 90% of your questions.

Colorado Springs,CO
The ideal lighting for torts is a T5 fluorescent tube for uvb, speaking of which does he even have a uvb light? Uvb is essential for tortoise bones to grow. A CHE for heat, and an incandescent flood bulb for basking.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

The red bulb is so distracting I can't even tell what type of substrate is in that tiny aquarium tank.

Mat

Clovis
Yes I have a timer set up for the UVB light. This was the biggest Terrarium I could buy. I will get a new bulb

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
When I got my new RT he did not eat for several days while he got accustomed to his new digs. Hopefully yours will eat soon when you make those changes, like the red lighting.

Dlamonda

Grants Pass
When I got my new RT he did not eat for several days while he got accustomed to his new digs. Hopefully yours will eat soon when you make those changes, like the red lighting.
Hi I have had him 2 months. Believe me he eats nothing!