New russian tortoise mom

jennyquenn

Location (City and/or State)
FALL RIVER
Hello everyone,
My son acquired a Russian tortoise 3 months ago. We have done research on diet, lighting, etc. Our tortoise vet has not examined him yet due to social distancing, so I am hoping you all have some info with regards to diet. He will eat Kale, Collards, Green beans, Endive, Cactus, Broccolini leaves, Swiss chard, and weekly treats of strawberry, melon, or tomato. He has a tortoise block and cuttlebone but he does not touch it. The only thing he won't eat is tortoise pellets. We have tried 3 different brands already. How important are they??

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Post pictures of tort and setup. unless you think something is wrong with him I wouldn't waste the time and money on the vet. Most don't know the right way to treat tortoises. Mazuri tortoise diet or Zoo med are the 2 best dried pellet food.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Give this a good read it will answer most of your questions:

jennyquenn

FALL RIVER
Post pictures of tort and setup. unless you think something is wrong with him I wouldn't waste the time and money on the vet. Most don't know the right way to treat tortoises. Mazuri tortoise diet or Zoo med are the 2 best dried pellet food.
Thanks for the info, I was only taking him to Vet for initial exam and stool check, not worried about anything. He likes to walk outside and eat clovers, we even bought a harness...I know it's probably not needed, but he is our first tortoise. Here are some pics of his house. He also roams around the house daily (supervised).

cage1.jpgcage2.jpg

nicoleann2214

NY
Thanks for the info, I was only taking him to Vet for initial exam and stool check, not worried about anything. He likes to walk outside and eat clovers, we even bought a harness...I know it's probably not needed, but he is our first tortoise. Here are some pics of his house. He also roams around the house daily (supervised).
You should get some type of substrate Russians like to dig/burrow, and you’re gonna need a bigger enclosure depending on his size, russians like a lot of room to walk around and explore.

KBeam

Central Illinois
Hello everyone,
My son acquired a Russian tortoise 3 months ago. We have done research on diet, lighting, etc. Our tortoise vet has not examined him yet due to social distancing, so I am hoping you all have some info with regards to diet. He will eat Kale, Collards, Green beans, Endive, Cactus, Broccolini leaves, Swiss chard, and weekly treats of strawberry, melon, or tomato. He has a tortoise block and cuttlebone but he does not touch it. The only thing he won't eat is tortoise pellets. We have tried 3 different brands already. How important are they??

Attachments

• D59BE84B-6723-4CE2-A485-6F4F277DECB8.jpeg
    D59BE84B-6723-4CE2-A485-6F4F277DECB8.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 5