New Russian Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston
Russian.jpgI had a woman contact me about taking in a Russian that someone had pretty much dumped on her.The only history
I have on him is that he's about 10 yrs. old, and was fed
cooked carrotts..,yikes.

He needs his nails clipped,and beak filed badly.

Hmmm, I dont have any idea why that pic is so small...I'm computer stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Isn't it amazing that once you have your own tortoise, people just start coming out of the wood work to give you another one?

Glad you've rescued that poor carrot tortoise. Oh well...at least he's been getting his vitamin A. :D

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I guess I wont have to worry about his eye sight.I have no idea who this woman was,and I had no interest in getting a russian.

I got the dremmel out and did his nails and got the beak down quite a bit.I need to get the sides of his beak down some more but gave him a breather and soaked him for awhile.I got him set up in one of those Christmas tree tote thingys for now,and he ate a big plate of greens.So far so good..I think I'll name him Vladamir

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Poor guy, glad to see he is in good hands now though. Still makes me sad that people just go out and buy these little critters because they think they are "easy" to care for then when they get bored with them just throw them out. Really makes me sick and mad at the same time.

Tyler

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
OMG. how does a beak get like THAT?! Nice of you to take him in. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I got my first RES who I was 8 by ten I had over a dozen from people who found out I had them and no longer wanted theirs, and this was before the internet, and CL.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dmmj said:
I got my first RES when I was 8, by ten I had over a dozen from people who found out I had them and no longer wanted theirs, and this was before the internet, and CL.

Funny how that works, huh?

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
emysemys said:
dmmj said:
I got my first RES when I was 8, by ten I had over a dozen from people who found out I had them and no longer wanted theirs, and this was before the internet, and CL.

Funny how that works, huh?

Indeed. That's the same way I got my first ball python, bearded dragon, and Russian tortoise, and how I almost ended up with two sizable Asian rat snakes, a couple young RES, and a "mystery" turtle/tortoise (never found out what it was..). Only one of those had anything to do with CL/internet... The rest were local people finding out I had snakes and asking if I would take this or that reptilian pet they or a family member of theirs didn't want anymore.

I'm so glad that poor tort made it to good hands!! Good luck bringing him back to health, zzzdanz!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Awww look at that beak :( How is he doing?
I would love to rescue a Russian!

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
He's doing ok..doesn't seem to interested in much other than digging and basking.I got his beak down quite a bit with the Dremel and he can grab his greens better.It definately needs to be filed more but I'm not comfortable going further myself,so he's going to the vet. Tuesday.

Once I get him 100%, being the addict I am, I'll have to get him some GF's.

I'm never good at names, but Vladamir it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.