New Russian owner in Colorado...questions!

Com's mom

Location (City and/or State)
COLORADO
Hi guys, I'm a newbie owner and would appreciate advice. I've combed the forums for specific answers but haven't seen what I'm looking for. We adopted a russian last September, and one day I left him happily munching in my garden box (unsupervised) for 45 minutes...GONE. we looked everywhere. Every yard on the block. Every rock, bush, etc. I dug up all my beds even tho there was no evidence of a burrow. 7 months and a harsh CO winter later, he pops his head out of my neighbors yard on April 9th! Talk about a high point after a month of lock down. My son was so devastated when we lost him. He was burrowed about 5 inches down next to their house. I was shocked! We figured we would build him an outdoor enclosure because he seems so tough! However temps are still dipping into the 40's at night here..
His shade area is a big cave made of stacked flagstones in which I piled a lot of coconut substrate into...and put one of those half logs as the entrance and stuffed dried dandelions he never ate into cracks to prevent wind / water getting in. Is he okay out there at night? He seems soooo mad when I pull him out these last few colder nights...I mean he made it thru the winter!!! The enclosure is looking a little better than in this photo, but you get the idea. Any and all Russian advice would be appreciated!! We didn't know what we were getting into but Comrade is bringing us so much joy! Thanks!

IMG_3896.JPG

Kristywhiskey

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Collins, CO
Hi guys, I'm a newbie owner and would appreciate advice. I've combed the forums for specific answers but haven't seen what I'm looking for. We adopted a russian last September, and one day I left him happily munching in my garden box (unsupervised) for 45 minutes...GONE. we looked everywhere. Every yard on the block. Every rock, bush, etc. I dug up all my beds even tho there was no evidence of a burrow. 7 months and a harsh CO winter later, he pops his head out of my neighbors yard on April 9th! Talk about a high point after a month of lock down. My son was so devastated when we lost him. He was burrowed about 5 inches down next to their house. I was shocked! We figured we would build him an outdoor enclosure because he seems so tough! However temps are still dipping into the 40's at night here..
His shade area is a big cave made of stacked flagstones in which I piled a lot of coconut substrate into...and put one of those half logs as the entrance and stuffed dried dandelions he never ate into cracks to prevent wind / water getting in. Is he okay out there at night? He seems soooo mad when I pull him out these last few colder nights...I mean he made it thru the winter!!! The enclosure is looking a little better than in this photo, but you get the idea. Any and all Russian advice would be appreciated!! We didn't know what we were getting into but Comrade is bringing us so much joy! Thanks!

Russians love to dig dig dig and walk walk walk lol!!! Lots of people think they have lost a pet!! I keep my Russian in an outdoor enclosure he can't burrow under or out of. He does come in at night.
russians Brumate so sounds like he just found him a nice spot to enjoy!!! I'm in NOCO.. feel free to reach out to me. I find lots of good help on forums in Facebook!