New Russian...age and gender help needed

Shagador

Location (City and/or State)
Apollo Beach Florida
Hi, I just got my first tortoise and am wondering what age and gender it is. I have attached two pictures. Also, there is a lot of mixed info out there as to how often to feed, what to feed, lamps, containers, substrate, soaking, etc. I have read a lot from a variety of sources but honestly, there seems to be many conflicting suggestions. Help! My tortoise is eating greens, hibiscus leaves, Timothy hay, raddicio, endive, and grassland pellets soaked in water. She/he poops a couple of times a day but doesn't pee much. Do I need two lamps...one for basking and one for uvb or just one MVP that also gives off heat? I have a terra cotta saucer for drinking and soaking, and I gave it a bath/soak today. Am I on the right track? Thanks

IMG_0441.JPG IMG_0442.JPG

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
There's no way to tell the age. It looks like a wild caught adult. Would need a better picture of the underside of the tail to tell you the gender.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The best advice I can give you is to stay on this site. I went through all of the conflicting advice for years also. I stopped listening after a couple of months. I finally found TFO. What's really nice about TFO is you'll be able, over time, to learn stuff from long time tortoise parents. Hang in there.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
You can go the mvb route but I prefer 2 lights. I use regular incandescent flood bulbs for heat and fluorescent tube style bulb for UVB. I like the brand Arcadia.
Sounds like you're on the right track though.
Here's a link to a useful post:
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
To find out the sex give us a better photo of the tail. Maybe pull it away from the body a little.
If you post photos of your enclosure people can give advice about that. Most of us made lots of mistakes at first and we'd love to help you get it right from the beginning.

Tortalini

Columbus, Ohio
Yeah I wish! I would love to find a tortoise in my backyard! But it is 35 degrees right now in Ohio. Its hard enough trying to keep the heat and humidity up in my indoor tortoise tank. :D

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Yeah I wish! I would love to find a tortoise in my backyard! But it is 35 degrees right now in Ohio. Its hard enough trying to keep the heat and humidity up in my indoor tortoise tank. :D
I bet! In college, I dated a guy from Canton. His mom sent him the front page of the local paper with a photo of their latest snowfall. Wow. This little Texan has NEVER seen that much snow!!! Makes me cold just thinking about it!